Is this Vivipary?

Skip to the first unread message

Padmini Raghavan

10 Feb 2011, 2:51:09 pm10/02/11
to indiantreepix
Hi All,
  What method of reproduction is this?
I got 16 little plantlets from this one stalk with a  single flower of the Red Ginger.
Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.
Red Ginger Lily 005.jpg
Red Ginger Lily 012.jpg
Red Ginger Lily 015.jpg
Red Ginger Lily 022.jpg

Satish Chile

11 Feb 2011, 2:18:07 am11/02/11
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
This is seen in some grasses, Onion, Lilly etc.
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

11 Feb 2011, 9:26:03 am11/02/11
to Satish Chile, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
i am not sure whether this phenomenon can be regarded as vivipary
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Chitralekha

12 Feb 2011, 2:20:44 am12/02/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Padmini,
Nice pictures; I can use them to show to my students. It is a type of
vegetative propagation where the propagules are formed on the
inflorescence axis along with flowers. If I am not mistaken each
plantlet is arising at the axil of the red bract. Do they form roots
too? I have seen it in Chlorophytum. I am not sure if it is true
vivipary; vivipary is germination of a seed while still on the mother
plant.
Thanks,
Chitralekha
>  Red Ginger Lily 005.jpg
> 230KViewDownload
>
>  Red Ginger Lily 012.jpg
> 222KViewDownload
>
>  Red Ginger Lily 015.jpg
> 217KViewDownload
>
>  Red Ginger Lily 022.jpg
> 225KViewDownload

Mahadeswara

12 Feb 2011, 8:48:41 am12/02/11
to efloraofindia
Not vivipary

Rashida Atthar

13 Feb 2011, 8:57:06 am13/02/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
This is interesting. As per definations- some plants produce seeds that undergo no dormancy . The growth while the seed and fruit are still on the plant is termed vivipary. Another defination says True vivipary, the germination of seed before dispersal is relatively rare ( as in mangrove species), in contrast to false vivipary (prolification) which represents a development of rooting vegetative buds instead of flowers. Could this be a case false vivipary?

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

13 Feb 2011, 9:14:24 am13/02/11
to Rashida Atthar, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Yes Rashida ji
You have got it right. Many plants develop bulbils in place of flowers. Top onion, a pseudodiploid can survive only because of this so called vivipary, and infact it was  earlier named as Allium cepa var. viviparum.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Rashida Atthar

13 Feb 2011, 9:36:03 am13/02/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Thanks for the interesting explanation Dr. Gurcharan ji.

regards,
Rashida.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

13 Feb 2011, 9:46:23 am13/02/11
to efloraofindia
To me, this is not vivipary unless this happens all the time in the
plant. Which is clearly not the case here.
This has happened just because somehow seeds got stuck and germinated
due to availability of moisture.
True vivipary is a compulsory habit in a particular plant, where there
is no other means liek that of Mangrove shrubs or trees.
This is not even bulbil. Bulbil is also a unique character.
Regards
Pankaj