Sterculia Guttata seeds

Kiran Srivastava

Mar 2, 2008, 11:54:57 AM3/2/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, Flowers of India

In December I had posted the large hard plum-coloured fruits of Sterculia guttata tree from Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai. This morning we found them on the ground open with black seeds within.

Cheers,

Kiran Srivastava

Mumbai

kir...@vsnl.net

P1030313.JPG

J.M. Garg

Mar 2, 2008, 10:12:07 PM3/2/08
to Kiran Srivastava, indian...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful picture, Kiran ji.
Is more inf. available on this species?

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Lanscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Mar 3, 2008, 12:15:44 AM3/3/08
to indiantreepix
Thanks, Barve ji.

Mar 3, 2008, 9:26:31 PM3/3/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Ritul Mehta, manisha shah

Thanks for the good information. Yes, there were Common Langurs in the vicinity.

Cheers,

Kiran Srivastava

Mumbai

Mar 4, 2008, 8:40:44 AM3/4/08
to Kiran Srivastava, indian...@googlegroups.com, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, Flowers of India
Some more explanation of local Marathi Names

1) Dongri Badam  meaning is Almond of Mountain The seed is edible and has good taste of Groundnut + Kopra i.e dried coconut

2) Panch pala- Meaning a Vessel of five compartments normally used in kitchen to store five dry powders. This name is coined by Ms. Kanchanganga Gandhe in her book on Indian tress.

I guess this tree will be throughout India

Dr. Vasant Barve
--
Dr. Vasant Barve
# 9 Sneha Nagar 1st Cross, Amrutahalli, Main

Kiran Srivastava

Mar 4, 2008, 11:00:10 PM3/4/08
to WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, Flowers of India

“I guess this tree will be throughout India”, said Dr. Vasant Barve.

May be we should try to find out how common it is through various egroups and interested individuals.

Cheers,

Kiran Srivastava

Mumbai

kir...@vsnl.net

satish phadke

Mar 8, 2008, 9:26:26 AM3/8/08
to WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indiantreepix
Attaching a macro of Bakul ( Mimusops elengi ) flower. Sorry don't have a full tree/leaves /bark etc as I am fond of flowers more.
Satish

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Na Bha <nalin...@yahoo.de> wrote:

Hallo,
some months ago, Bhumesh Bharati had sent pictures of parijatak. I wonder if this tree is seen throughout India.
I also am looking for fotos of Bakul (Marathi name) Tree and flowers. I remember in Pune in Tulshibag there was a bakul tree near the Hanuman temple. I haven't seen it there any more.
Has anyone seen this tree / flowers anywhere?  I can smell the flowers while writing these lines.
Regards
Nalini
__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Check out the

Y! Groups blog

Stay up to speed

on all things Groups!

Yahoo! Groups

Wellness Spot

A resource for Curves

and weight loss.

Lawn & Garden

on Yahoo! Groups

For all things

green and growing.

.

__,_._,___

--
Dr. Satish Phadke
Bakul Mimusops elengi DSCN9734.jpg

satish phadke

Mar 8, 2008, 9:28:42 AM3/8/08
to WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indiantreepix
The Bakul;posted by me was shot on roadside on way to Goa near Belgaon. This is not uncommon tree and is generally seen planted in campuses of big temples all over India.
Satish
--
Dr. Satish Phadke

JANAKI TURAGA

Mar 8, 2008, 11:18:24 AM3/8/08
to satish phadke, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indiantreepix
lovely picture. it is a beautiful flower.
i wonder what is the link between this tree and temples?!
Janaki Turaga

On 3/8/08, satish phadke <phadke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> is not uncommon tree and is generally seen planted in campuses of big
> temples all over India.
> Satish
>
> On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 7:56 PM, satish phadke <phadke...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Attaching a macro of Bakul ( Mimusops elengi ) flower. Sorry don't have a
> > full tree/leaves /bark etc as I am fond of flowers more.
> > Satish
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Na Bha <nalin...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> >
> > > Hallo,
> > > some months ago, Bhumesh Bharati had sent pictures of parijatak. I
> > > wonder if this tree is seen throughout India.
> > > I also am looking for fotos of Bakul (Marathi name) Tree and flowers. I
> > > remember in Pune in Tulshibag there was a bakul tree near the Hanuman
> > > temple. I haven't seen it there any more.
> > > Has anyone seen this tree / flowers anywhere? I can smell the flowers
> > > while writing these lines.
> > > Regards
> > > Nalini
> > > __._,_.___ Messages in this topic

> > > 1) Reply (via web post)

> Start
> > > a new topic

> > > [image: Yahoo!
> > > Change settings via the
> Web<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WildFlowerIndia/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJnYmtpZDRjBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzE4NjQ1Nzc4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTcxMzE1NARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNzdG5ncwRzdGltZQMxMjA0ODYyNDUw>(Yahoo!

> ID required)
> > > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily

> Digest<WildFlowerI...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>|
> Switch
> > > format to
> Traditional<WildFlowerInd...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>
> > > Visit Your Group

> Yahoo!
> > > <WildFlowerInd...@yahoogroups.com?subject=>
> > > Recent Activity
> > >
> > > - 1
> > > New
> Members<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WildFlowerIndia/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnNjBzamh0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NjQ1Nzc4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTcxMzE1NARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMjA0ODYyNDUw>
> > >
> > > Visit Your Group

> > > Check out the
> > >
> > > Y! Groups

> blog<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13o8ljcn6/M=493064.12016258.12582637.8674578/D=groups/S=1705713154:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1204869651/L=/B=syeuC0LaX.Q-/J=1204862451190689/A=5191952/R=0/SIG=112mhte3e/*http://www.ygroupsblog.com/blog/>

> > > Stay up to speed
> > >
> > > on all things Groups!
> > > Yahoo! Groups
> > >
> > > Wellness

> Spot<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13pgnbtbo/M=493064.12016299.12445691.11322765/D=groups/S=1705713154:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1204869651/L=/B=tCeuC0LaX.Q-/J=1204862451190689/A=4990215/R=0/SIG=11d53kq3t/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/curves/>

satish phadke

Mar 9, 2008, 5:49:52 AM3/9/08
to WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indiantreepix
Attaching a picture of tree (Bakul)Mimusops elengi taken inside Taj Mahal(Agra) area on the left side before main entry.There are interesting trees and all are named and nicely maintained. Even a spotted owlet was seen in one of it.

[...]

MimusopsDSCN8428.jpg

J.M. Garg

Mar 9, 2008, 11:01:12 PM3/9/08
to satish phadke, indiantreepix
Here a link to this tree: http://ctfs.si.edu/webatlas/findinfo.php?specid=5081&leng=english

Dr. Satish Phadke

Tejal Dhulla Vishweshwar

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 10:24 PM, Kiran Srivastava <kir...@vsnl.net> wrote:

In December I had posted the large hard plum-coloured fruits of Sterculia guttata tree from Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai. This morning we found them on the ground open with black seeds within.

Cheers,

Kiran Srivastava

Mumbai

--
Dr. Vasant Barve
# 9 Sneha Nagar 1st Cross, Amrutahalli, Main
Road Byatrayan Pura Bangalore 560 092,
Phone (R) 080 2353 3244, (M)  99455 99198

unless the principle of non-violence becomes
central to the ethics of human culture." - Mahatma Gandhi