Flowering Vanda for Id | 27May10AR03

raghu ananth

May 27, 2010, 9:56:01 AM5/27/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Flowering Vanda

Date/Time :

14/May/2010 11.50AM

Location- Place, altitude and GPS:

Karapura, Kakana kote forest, Karnataka,

Habitat- garden/ urban/wild/type:

Wild,

Plant Habit-tree/shrub/climber/herb:

 Vanda

Height/length:

~1.5 to 2feet

Leaves-type/shape/size:

-

Inflorescence type /size:

-

Flowers-size/colour/calyx/bracts:

Pls see the attachments,

Fruits type-shape/size/seeds:

-

Fragrance/odour/pollinator/uses  and so on:

-

Regards
Raghu

DSC_2793a.jpg
DSC_2793e.jpg
DSC_2794b.jpg
DSC_2795c.jpg
DSC_2797d.jpg
DSC_2798f.jpg

tanay bose

May 27, 2010, 10:01:33 AM5/27/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear raghu Ji,
My knowledge in Orchidaceae is negligible but are you sure this is Vanda? May be please correct me if I am wrong!!
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

raghu ananth

May 27, 2010, 10:24:34 AM5/27/10
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Tanay ji,

Vanda orchid roots hang free in the air. That's my knowledge.

Regards
Raghu

May 27, 2010, 11:12:08 AM5/27/10
to efloraofindia
This should be Acampe praemorsa
http://www.orchidspecies.com/acampepapillosa.htm
May look superficially similar in form to Vanda stangeana.
- Tabish

>  DSC_2793a.jpg
> 79KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_2793e.jpg
> 65KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_2794b.jpg
> 93KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_2795c.jpg
> 145KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_2797d.jpg
> 134KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_2798f.jpg
> 95KViewDownload

tanay bose

May 27, 2010, 11:15:15 AM5/27/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Dear Tabish Ji,
Right You are !!! I am extremely bad in orchid taxonomy but from the very beginning I had doubt of this plant being Vanda sp. Hopefully this plant was uploaded few days ago.
Regards
Tanay

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Jul 11, 2010, 9:51:16 PM7/11/10
to efloraofindia
Tabish sir is always right....this is for sure Acampe praemorsa...
Vanda may have similar leaves or roots or stem, but floral stalk is
much longer and raised above....offcourse lip is very different that
this...
Pankaj