Mysore Flora - 191210 MS-6 - Solanum micranthum

Skip to the first unread message

M Swamy

19 Dec 2010, 1:06:04 am19/12/10
to efloraofindia
Beautiful, attractive ornamental tree on roads .
Height 10 - 15 ft.
Flowers  -  pinkish violet
fruits - size of potato.
Photo taken on 3.12.10
Solanum macranthum b.JPG
Solanum macranthum.JPG
Solanum macranthum a.JPG

tanay bose

19 Dec 2010, 1:22:06 am19/12/10
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
Very nice catch
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

19 Dec 2010, 3:39:48 am19/12/10
to tanay bose, M Swamy, efloraofindia
Now correctly known as S. grandiflorum Ruiz & Pav. (syn: S. macranthum Dunal)

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

JM Garg

28 Feb 2022, 5:54:12 am28/02/22
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
Taking it as Solanum wrightii Benth.  (Syn: Solanum macranthum Carrière) as per discussions at Solanum macranthum from Chikkamagalur Mullayanagiri Road-GS17022022-2
Solanum macranthum b.JPG
Solanum macranthum.JPG
Solanum macranthum a.JPG

J.M. Garg

28 Feb 2022, 8:07:02 pm28/02/22
to efloraofindia

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

5 Mar 2022, 11:58:36 pm05/03/22
to efloraofindia
Garg ji, we have to decide whether our plant is S. macranthum Dunal, now S. crinitum Lam. (branches lack thin straight prickles, corolla shallowly lobed)
or S. macranthum Carr., now wrightii Benth. (branches with long straight prickles, corolla deeply lobed) please see images on POWO
I think ours should be S. crinitum Lam.

J.M. Garg

10 Mar 2022, 12:48:06 am10/03/22
to efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh, M Swamy
Thanks, Singh ji,
Pl. see my analysis at Solanum macranthum from Chikkamagalur Mullayanagiri Road-GS17022022-2
S. macranthum Dunal or S. crinitum Lam. is also not listed in BSI checklist

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Gurcharan Singh

12 Mar 2022, 1:23:34 am12/03/22