Re: [efloraofindia:88261] ludwigia species mm1 16102011

Mohina Macker

Oct 20, 2011, 12:47:11 AM10/20/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Got some some more photographs yesterday
the plant seems glabrous
without a hint of purple
regards
mohina macker

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Giby Kuriakose <giby.ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Satish ji,

As per the key provided in this link (http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=119063) and the description and illustrations therein shows that the stem leaf margin of L. octovalvis is hairy and the same for L. perennis is glabrous.
In this pictures, though it is not very clear, seems that the plant is glabrous.
Mohima ji please check whether the plant is hairy or not.

Regards,
Giby

On 17 October 2011 18:15, Satish Phadke <drsmp...@gmail.com> wrote:
It is interesting
Whether it is Ludwigia octovalvis or Ludwigia perennis? Only significant difference between the two what I noticed from the literature is that the small petiole is winged in L.perennis.
Mohina ji Can you check this in your plant as it is not appreciated in the given picture.
Otherwise the plant looks close to Ludwigia octovalvis to me
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/2ea31303c443af06/a3f3b57a741cdbc4?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=ludwigia#a3f3b57a741cdbc4

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Mohina Macker <mohina...@gmail.com> wrote:
very small flowers
no bigger than 3 or 4 mm
would very much appreciate an id
regards
mohina macker

--
Dr Satish Phadke

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

DSCN0734aa.jpg
DSCN0733 aa.jpg

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 20, 2011, 12:51:02 AM10/20/11
to efloraofindia
May be Ludwigia alternifolia!
Pankaj

On Oct 20, 12:47 pm, Mohina Macker <mohinamac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>m Got some some more photographs yesterday
> the plant seems glabrous
> without a hint of purple
> regards
> mohina macker
>
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Giby Kuriakose <giby.kuriak...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Dear Satish ji,
>
> > As per the key provided in this link (
> >http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=119063) and
> > the description and illustrations therein shows that the stem leaf margin of
> > *L. octovalvis *is hairy and the same for *L. perennis* is glabrous.
> > In this pictures, though it is not very clear, seems that the plant
> > is glabrous.
> > Mohima ji please check whether the plant is hairy or not.
>
> > Regards,
> > Giby
>
> > On 17 October 2011 18:15, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> It is interesting
> >> Whether it is *Ludwigia octovalvis* or *Ludwigia perennis*? Only
> >> significant difference between the two what I noticed from the literature is
> >> that the small petiole is winged in *L.perennis*.
> >> Mohina ji Can you check this in your plant as it is not appreciated in the
> >> given picture.
> >> Otherwise the plant looks close to *Ludwigia octovalvis* to me
>
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/2ea...

> >> --
> >> Dr Satish Phadke
>
> > --
> > GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
> > Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
> > Royal Enclave,
> > Jakkur Post, Srirampura
> > Bangalore- 560064
> > India
> > Phone - +91 9448714856 (Mobile)
> > visit my pictures @http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby
>

>  DSCN0734aa.jpg
> 155KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN0733 aa.jpg
> 162KViewDownload

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 21, 2011, 10:21:07 AM10/21/11
to Mohina Macker, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
I still think that this is L. perennis.

Regards,
Giby

Satish Phadke

Oct 21, 2011, 12:02:52 PM10/21/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
I am not aware of the two species in detail. Attaching my pictures of the plant seen near water body near Kaas Plateau which was IDed as L.octovalvis for comparison/Review again.
--
Dr Satish Phadke
_MG_0114s.jpg

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 21, 2011, 12:14:08 PM10/21/11
to Satish Phadke, Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
Is this a hairy plant or a glabrus one? Further in L. octovalvis the sepels are 0.5-1.2cm long petals are 0.6-1.8cm long whereas, in L. perennis it is less than 0.5 for both sepals and petals

If this is a glabrous plant with smaller flowers, I think this too is L. perennis.

Satish Phadke

Oct 21, 2011, 12:48:54 PM10/21/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
Thanks Giby ji
I think you are right. That was the reason I posted the plant again.
This definitely is a glabrous plant but size wise I think it is closer to L.octovalvis.
Anyway can't confirm now. Thanks for the analysis which would be useful when I might encounter similar plant again
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Mohina Macker

Oct 22, 2011, 2:14:02 AM10/22/11
to Satish Phadke, Giby Kuriakose, efloraofindia
Dear Giby ji and Satish ji
the flowers of this ludwigia were tiny, no mare thean 5mm at the maximum,
so that seems to rule out L.octovalvis

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 22, 2011, 3:03:47 AM10/22/11
to Mohina Macker, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Please refer the attached file.
If the flowers were so small I am sure that this is L. perennis.
One more important point that if the capsule is angular (4 angled) then the plant would be L. prostrata flowers are almost equal sized in these 2 species.

Regards,
Giby
Rheedea20_59-70.pdf

Samir Mehta

Oct 22, 2011, 5:01:02 AM10/22/11
to efloraofindia
Giby ji,

Many thanks for the article - never knew of L.decurrens, among a host
of other things!!

Would I be correct in assuming that a erect plant 1.5m, flower >2cms,
leaves glabrous (also stem), sepals not hairy is L.deurrens? saw this
plant at north end of sgnp very recently.

Regards,

Samir

On Oct 22, 12:03 pm, Giby Kuriakose <giby.kuriak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please refer the attached file.
> If the flowers were so small I am sure that this is *L. perennis. *
> One more important point that if the capsule is angular (4 angled) then the
> plant would be *L. prostrata* flowers are almost equal sized in these 2
> species. *  *
>
> Regards,
> Giby
>
> On 22 October 2011 11:44, Mohina Macker <mohinamacker @gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Dear Giby ji and Satish ji
> > the flowers of this ludwigia were tiny, no mare thean 5mm at the maximum,
> > so that seems to rule out L.octovalvis
>
> > On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Thanks Giby ji
> >> I think you are right. That was the reason I posted the plant again.
> >> This definitely is a glabrous plant but size wise I think it is closer to
> >> * L.octovalvis.*
> >> Anyway can't confirm now. Thanks for the analysis which would be useful
> >> when I might encounter similar plant again
>
> >> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Giby Kuriakose <giby.kuriak...@gmail.com

> >> --
> >> Dr Satish Phadke
>
> --
> GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
> Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
> Royal Enclave,
> Jakkur Post, Srirampura
> Bangalore- 560064
> India
> Phone - +91 9448714856 (Mobile)
> visit my pictures @http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby
>
>  Rheedea20_59-70.pdf
> 1521KViewDownload

Samir Mehta

Oct 22, 2011, 5:04:48 AM10/22/11
to efloraofindia
Many thanks for the post Mohina,

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 22, 2011, 5:10:01 AM10/22/11
to Samir Mehta, efloraofindia, Satish Phadke, Mohina Macker
When you run the key, .....
4. stem woody at base, stamens 8....; 5  (if this is the case it can be L decurrens)
4. Stem herbaceous, stamens 4....  6 (if this is the case mostly L perennis)

Here in Sathish jis pictures I think the number of stamens are 4
Hence I say it is L. perennis

Satish ji or Mohina ji, Please clarify by using the key i Rheedea article.

Regards