efloraofindia:''For Id 28092011MR9’’ green Cactus looks like a snake Pune

Skip to the first unread message

Madhuri Raut

28 Sept 2011, 6:42:57 am28/09/11
to efloraofindia

   Request for identification

Date/Time-Sep 2011

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-Pune

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-Garden

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Cactus

Height/Length- about 3 ft

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Green dashed

Regards

Bhagyashri

280920112114.jpg
280920112110.jpg
280920112113.jpg

Bhatt Sweta

28 Sept 2011, 6:48:45 am28/09/11
to Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Looks like one of the Sansevieria sps.

Are all the three picts from the same plant?!
The 2nd picture looks a little different from the other two's, with respect to the edges of the lamina...

Regards,
Shweta

--
Bhatt Shweta
Doctoral Research Student,

Madhuri Raut

28 Sept 2011, 6:56:24 am28/09/11
to Bhatt Sweta, efloraofindia
Thank you Swetaji You have a very sharp observation. You are right the 2nd pic was a liitle away from the 1st and 3rd. To my untrained eyes both looked similar may be it is something different. Sorry to have caused the confusion. But it is due to ignorance
Regards
Bhagyashri

Gurcharan Singh

28 Sept 2011, 8:17:43 am28/09/11
to Madhuri Raut, Bhatt Sweta, efloraofindia
Sensevieria trifaciata, snake plant, or mother-in-laws tongue

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Madhuri Raut

28 Sept 2011, 8:22:05 am28/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Bhatt Sweta, efloraofindia
@Gurcharanji Thank you
Oh my God what a name 'mother in laws tongue' why because it looks like a snake or is it because it looks sharp like a blade ha ha.... I am sorry not meaning to hurt anyone
Regards
Bhagyashri

Gurcharan Singh

28 Sept 2011, 8:27:17 am28/09/11
to Madhuri Raut, Bhatt Sweta, efloraofindia
Madhuri ji
because the leaves are sharp like mother-in-laws tongue. I deliberately did not write earlier. Here is the link

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Mahadeswara

28 Sept 2011, 8:42:21 am28/09/11
to efloraofindia
Sensevieria trifaciata,

On Sep 28, 5:27 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Madhuri ji
> because the leaves are sharp like mother-in-laws tongue. I deliberately did
> not write earlier. Here is the link
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansevieria_trifasciata
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > @Gurcharanji Thank you
> > Oh my God what a name 'mother in laws tongue' why because it looks like a
> > snake or is it because it looks sharp like a blade ha ha.... I am sorry not
> > meaning to hurt anyone
> > Regards
> > Bhagyashri
>
> > On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Sensevieria trifaciata, snake plant, or mother-in-laws tongue
>
> >> --
> >> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >> Retired  Associate Professor
> >> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Madhuri Raut

28 Sept 2011, 8:54:09 am28/09/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Thank you Gurcharanji and Mahadeswaraji
@Gurcharanji Thank you for the link. The plant is sharp but has delicate flowers !!!
Regards
Bhagyashri

Dr Pankaj Kumar

28 Sept 2011, 9:20:22 am28/09/11
to efloraofindia
Sensevieria trifaciata
Also referred to as Bowstring hemp. The fibres in the leaves were used
in making Bow strings.
Pankaj

Madhuri Raut

28 Sept 2011, 9:29:54 am28/09/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thank you Pankajji. This name sounds good
Regards
Bhagyashri

Madhuri Raut

28 Sept 2011, 12:37:54 pm28/09/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Is the 2nd pic different plant as Swetaji pointed out
Regards
Bhagyashri

Ushadi micromini

28 Sept 2011, 9:18:07 pm28/09/11
to efloraofindia
Bhagyashri...
all sensevarias flowered in calcutta in july...at the height of the
monsoon... esp if they were growing out in the open...
did your plant flower too, ene though it was in a tub?

Mother-in-law's tongue...
because sharp edges and many leaf blades.. just as mother in law has
many opinions...
but let the poor lady enjoy her opinions... she has lost her son to
the daughter in law!!!

and we will stick to science...

this is one of the many plants studied by NASA team to see if indoor
air can be purrified in the space station by plants...
sensevaria came out as an important detoxifier of indoor closed office
space air..
plant a few in your offices... (NOT FERNS THEY GIVE OUT THE SPORES
PERIODICALLY AND YOUR EYE PATIENTS WOULD SUFFER physically from
particles getting in their eyes and perhaps develop allergies to the
protien-carbohydrate/lectin coats on the spore ) ...

enjoy..
Usha di
========

On Sep 28, 9:37 pm, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is the 2nd pic different plant as Swetaji pointed out
> Regards
> Bhagyashri
>

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thank you Pankajji. This name sounds good
> > Regards
> > Bhagyashri

Ushadi micromini

28 Sept 2011, 9:37:17 pm28/09/11
to efloraofindia
Another thing:
Bhagyashri: this is NOT a cactus... cacti are DICOTS, originating ONLY
in the Americas...

Sensevarias are MONOCOTS, originating in Africa.

Big difference...

NOT all that have thorns or are sharp or are succulent are cacti...

I know confusing if you are just coming back to Botany...
but slowly one begins to remember...
so take heart...
and enjoy the process.

Usha di
=========

On Sep 29, 6:18 am, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>

Madhuri Raut

28 Sept 2011, 11:38:38 pm28/09/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
@Ushadi the Plant is in open in a Joggers Park. I do not know if it had flowered .
Thank you for so much valuable info of the plant
Regards
Bhagyashri

J.M. Garg

27 Jun 2020, 7:36:43 am27/06/20
to efloraofindia, Madhuri Raut, GurcharanSingh
1st and 3rd images should be of Sansevieria trifasciata ‘Futura Robusta’ and 2nd one should be Sansevieria trifasciata ‘Laurentii’ as per Leafyplace.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,50,000 images are directly displayed on 31.1.20).

280920112114.jpg
280920112110.jpg
280920112113.jpg