Names of Plants in India :: Habenaria foliosa

Skip to the first unread message

Dinesh Valke

25 Aug 2011, 1:11:52 am25/08/11
to efloraofindia
via Species‎ > ‎H‎ > ‎

Habenaria foliosa A. Rich.

Habenaria foliosa A.Rich.

Flowers of IndiaDiscussions at efloraofindiamore views in flickrmore views on Google Earth

hab-en-AR-ee-uh -- from the Latin habena, meaning rein or strap, referring to shape of orchid's spur
fo-lee-OH-suh -- leafy

commonly known as: leafy habenaria  Marathi: उग्र हबेअमरी ugra habe-amri

botanical names: Habenaria foliosa A.Rich. ... synonyms: no synonyms

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Photographed at Lohagad on 07 AUG 11 ... more at http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Habenariafoliosa&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags
ID by Dr Pankaj Sahani at my flickr photostream.

Would like to know the endemic range of this terrestrial orchid.

Regards.
Dinesh

Tanay Bose

25 Aug 2011, 1:13:30 am25/08/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
I am planning to steal your camera ... and some magical way to steal your
skills too Dinesh Ji !!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

H S

25 Aug 2011, 1:16:25 am25/08/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
there are also var. in species H. foliosa, pls also try to focus on leaves..
very common in moist deciduous forest in Maharashtra..

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Balkar Arya

25 Aug 2011, 8:58:54 pm25/08/11
to H S, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Yes Tanay if can do that also Tell me the secret
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Ushadi micromini

25 Aug 2011, 9:40:14 pm25/08/11
to efloraofindia

I 'll join you Tanay and Balkar ji...

Now if we could also steal dedication, pointed attention to details,
aesthetics and Pure love for the chosen path....

Bliss!!! I am stealing / reusing Joseph Campbell's words here...

Usha di
======

On Aug 26, 5:58 am, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes Tanay if can do that also Tell me the secret
>

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM, H S <hemsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > there are also var. in species H. foliosa, pls also try to focus on
> > leaves..
> > very common in moist deciduous forest in Maharashtra..
>
> > regards,
>
> > On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> via Species<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-species>‎
> >> ‎
> >>  *Habenaria foliosa* A. Rich.
> >>  [image: Habenaria foliosa A.Rich.]<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/6026060376/>
>
> >> [image: Flowers of India]<http://www.flowersofindia.in/catalog/slides/Leafy%20Habenaria.html>[image:
> >> Discussions at efloraofindia]<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#%21searchin/indiantreepix/Habe...>[image:
> >> more views in flickr]<http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Habenariafoliosa&m=tags&z=m>[image:
> >> more views on Google Earth]<http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/geo/india/&tags=Habenariafoliosa...>
>
> >> *hab-en-AR-ee-uh* -- from the Latin *habena*, meaning rein or strap,
> >> referring to shape of orchid's spur
> >> *fo-lee-OH-suh* -- leafy
>
> >> *commonly known as*: leafy habenaria<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/english/l...>
> >>  • *Marathi*: उग्र हबेअमरी ugra habe-amri<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/marathi/u...>
>
> >> *botanical names*: *Habenaria foliosa* A.Rich. ... *synonyms*: no

Dinesh Valke

25 Jan 2023, 6:43:45 am25/01/23
to eFloraofIndia

Dinesh Valke

25 Jan 2023, 6:48:37 am25/01/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Habenaria foliosa A.Rich.

Habenaria foliosa A.Rich.

hab-en-AR-ee-uh -- Latin: habena (rein or strap), referring to shape of orchid's spur ... Dave's Botanary
fo-lee-OH-suh -- leafy ... Dave's Botanary

commonly known as: leafy habenaria • Marathi: उग्र हबेअमरी ugra habe-amri

botanical names: Habenaria foliosa A.Rich. ... synonyms: none ... POWO
Bibliography / etymology
~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
leafy habenaria
  • name coined, for want of name; derived from the descriptive epithet - foliosa = leafy
~~~~~ KANNADA ~~~~~
no given name / no name found
~~~~~ MALAYALAM ~~~~~
no given name / no name found
~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
उग्र हबेअमरी ugra habe-amri
  • name coined, for want of name, by Shrikant Ingalhalikar, author of Flowers of Sahyadri, the first among three field guides to identify plants of northern Western Ghats of India, based on flowers ... उग्र ugra = foetid, flowers smelling unpleasant ; हबेअमरी habe-amri - the genus name Habenaria, Marathicised
~~~~~ TAMIL ~~~~~
no given name / no name found
~~~~~ x ~~~~~

J.M. Garg

25 Jan 2023, 6:56:30 am25/01/23
to efloraofindia, DineshValke
Great work, Dinesh ji
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Gurcharan Singh

26 Jan 2023, 6:18:13 pm26/01/23
to eFloraofIndia
great work. Good to see you working on your old posts.

Dinesh Valke

26 Jan 2023, 10:14:24 pm26/01/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Garg ji and Gurcharan ji for the appreciation !
Yes, Gurcharan ji, I am tackling all the old posts which contain the name compilation.
Earlier they were made in Google Sites - which Google wanted that they be converted to "new" sites. The "Classic" sites which do not get converted to "New" are going to disappear soon.

Regards.
Dinesh