Delonix regia

Skip to the first unread message

Padmini Raghavan

14 Jun 2010, 2:52:10 pm14/06/10
to indiantreepix
This may be a foreign tree and it may be common, but what a delightful sight it makes!
Definitely not a "May" flower in Chennai. It is just starting to bloom here.
Padmini Raghavan.
Whites Rd etc. 056.jpg
Whites Rd etc. 057.jpg
Whites Rd etc. 055.jpg

tanay bose

14 Jun 2010, 11:40:23 pm14/06/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Splendid red flowers of "Krishna Chura"
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

promila chaturvedi

15 Jun 2010, 8:25:02 am15/06/10
to tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
I thought Krishna Chura and Radha chura is Caesalpinia pulcherrima syn Poinciana pulcherrima. The Red flowered variety is known as Krishna Chura and the yollow flowered is known as Radha Chura.
Promila

tanay bose

15 Jun 2010, 8:28:55 am15/06/10
to promila chaturvedi, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Right you are I made the blunder with the common name
Tanay

bub...@gmail.com

6 Aug 2014, 11:56:47 pm06/08/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Wow !! This group is a treasure trove !

I never knew D. regia wasn't "krishna chura", "radha chura" are less common sight in Bengal at least
where I spent my youth. It seems neither D. regia nor C. pulcherrima are native to the subcontinent !
Where did they turn up from ? Did the Portuguese bring it from the Americas (directly or via the Brits)?
Any one have any light to shed?

I am becoming interested in native plant reforestation, having recently read about the work of Mr. Jadav
"Molai" Payeng (in Assam), and the work of Prof. Akira Miyawaki (in Japan). Having completed soil science
doctorate I find I know next to nothing of what is native vegetation of my motherland ! At least I am fortunate
to have gotten to hear of this group and Mr. Garg's awesome initiative !

Sorry for activating an old thread, the sins of a newbie, I guess !

Happy planting everyone !
Niru

bub...@gmail.com

7 Aug 2014, 12:05:06 am07/08/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
p.s. Wiki says - D. regia as being native to Western Madagascar, and C. pulcherrima as native to S America or the Caribbeans.
Are there any efforts in this forum - (sorry I am new here), to identify which plants are native to the subcontinent - and which
ones are introduced species ?

Cheers all,
Niru

Radha Eswar (ArtyPlantz)

7 Aug 2014, 1:12:31 am07/08/14
to bub...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Dear Niru,

The forum primarily identifies flora uploaded by its members. But there are experts who can tell you which are native, which are naturalised and which are non-native. I have interest in promoting native plants in landscape designs. Now our country is so diverse in so many ways! Even in flora we have different regions having different species native to it! Some are found most everywhere. Some are special to each region. I get awed when members put up flora from the Himalayas or NE states. What grows in western ghats is also special. But the hills of Tamilnadu have species with many of them offering medicinal benefits...so one really has to know what one wants, as in so many other things in this special country. It is indeed bountiful! If we knew what is your interest, then we could help. Hope this helps.

In Peace,

Radha Eswar

Rooting to Heal
Founder, ArtyPlantz

Satish Phadke

8 Aug 2014, 10:39:44 am08/08/14
to Radha Eswar (ArtyPlantz), bub...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
There are a lot of memebrs who are taking great efforts in promoting native plants. Oikos Pune have prepared a CD of native plants and they have a nursery of saplings of these plants. You can also visit http://www.flowersofindia.net
Every plant has a tag in it about Nativeness or not.

Dr Satish Phadke