Malvaceae week 0905- 9112011 UD 034 Sida creeper to ID

ushadi Micromini

Sep 11, 2011, 1:33:14 PM9/11/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, tanay bose

Malvaceae week 0905- 9112011 UD 034 Sida creeper to ID

Dear All :

I found this “creeper” like prostrate non-woody herb growing in a mess of other weed/herbs and a lots of grass and mud…   only one of this plant was around with just one yellow BUD… sorry the flower had not opened yet, its about 6 km from where Is stayed… so could not go back for a couple of days… and by the third day.. the whole plant was gone… this is all I have.. Pics were taken on 7th June 2011.

Can it be identified based on this few features:

Based on the fruits I know it’s a sida, but that’s where it stops for me…Please help…

Family: Malvaceae

Subfamily:           Malvoideae

Tribe:                        Malveae

Genus:                              Sida  L

Species                                   ID needed

Thank you

Usha di

====

Sida creeper for ID Southeast Kolkata wetlands DSC02638 sm crp nm.jpg
Sida creeper to id Southeastern Wetlands Kolkata DSC02639 nm sm crp.jpg
Sida creeper to ID Southeastern wetlands Kolkata DSC02642 bud leaf nm.jpg

Balkar Arya

Sep 11, 2011, 8:09:18 PM9/11/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose
I think abutilon indicum
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Tanay Bose

Sep 11, 2011, 8:44:32 PM9/11/11
to Balkar Arya, ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Abutilon indicum indeed I think Usha Di took this photo around
the Salt Lake region of Kolkata, it a gregarious weed out there .
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Vijayasankar

Sep 12, 2011, 1:52:55 AM9/12/11
to Tanay Bose, Balkar Arya, ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Yes, it is Abutilon indicum. I think the lonely plant had lot of disturbances in the field and been 'forced' to grow like a creeper, and finally gone.
It was NOT Sida for several reasons including for the mericarps which are not 1-seeded, nor 2-beaked and the beaks not pointing towards the center of fruit.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

ushadi Micromini

Sep 12, 2011, 4:34:59 AM9/12/11
to Vijayasankar, Tanay Bose, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Oh, thank you,   thank you, I'll go right now and change my labels in my file atleast, cant do anything to what's now floating in the cyberspace... Vijayashankarji, good explanations,, Balkarji thanks for the quick diagnosis, and Tanay, thanks ... na Bhai  I took the pictures near Patuli, but on the eastern side of the EM bypass... far away from salt lake... . you are right it was a very disturbed site.. nearby lots new apartment buildings are coming up ...  "Forced" to grow like a creeper" so site and prevailing conditions specify plants behavior...  interesting... almost human

Usha di
=====