Tree for ID : 051210 : AK-2

Skip to the first unread message

Aarti S. Khale

5 Dec 2010, 1:17:48 am05/12/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Tree photographed at Lonawala, Maharashtra on the 16th of Sept,2010.
Regards,
Aarti
P1090896.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

5 Dec 2010, 1:30:59 am05/12/10
to Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Terminalia sp?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

5 Dec 2010, 2:13:14 am05/12/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Terminalia arjuna
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

harithasandhya

5 Dec 2010, 2:29:54 am05/12/10
to efloraofindia
Terminalia tomentosa?

Regards,
Sandhya

On Dec 5, 12:13 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Terminalia arjuna
> Tanay
>

> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Terminalia sp?
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Aarti S. Khale <aarti.kh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Tree photographed at Lonawala, Maharashtra on the 16th of Sept,2010.
> >> Regards,
> >> Aarti
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*

Aarti S. Khale

5 Dec 2010, 4:02:18 am05/12/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
Thanks for the id.
Regards,
Aarti

On 12/5/10, tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Terminalia arjuna
> Tanay
>
> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Terminalia sp?
>>

>> --
>> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
>> Retired Associate Professor
>> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
>> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
>> Phone: 011-25518297 Mob: 9810359089
>> http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Aarti S. Khale
>> <aarti...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Tree photographed at Lonawala, Maharashtra on the 16th of Sept,2010.
>>> Regards,
>>> Aarti
>>>

> --

> *Tanay Bose*

Nudrat

5 Dec 2010, 1:37:31 pm05/12/10
to efloraofindia
Hello,

The plant in picture is Terminalia crenulata also known as Terminalia
tomentosa. Its not Terminalia arjuna as the venation on the wings of
the fruits are parallel which is not so in case of T. arjuna.

On Dec 5, 2:02 pm, "Aarti S. Khale" <aarti.kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> Thanks for the id.
> Regards,
> Aarti
>
> On 12/5/10, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Terminalia arjuna
> > Tanay
>
> > On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Terminalia sp?
>
> >> --
> >> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >> Retired  Associate Professor
> >> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> >> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Aarti S. Khale

Pankaj Kumar

5 Dec 2010, 1:58:29 pm05/12/10
to Nudrat, efloraofindia
Dear doc,
I thought the accepted name for Terminalia tomentosa is Terminalia alata.
Do let me know if I am wrong!
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Mahadeswara

5 Dec 2010, 11:56:35 pm05/12/10
to efloraofindia
Terminalia tomentosa
>  P1090896.JPG
> 206KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

6 Dec 2010, 1:50:47 am06/12/10
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
II think accepted name is Terminalis elliptica Willd. (syn: T. tomentosa Wight & Arn.; T. alata B. Heyne ex Roth)

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

6 Dec 2010, 1:52:21 am06/12/10
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Sorry for typo error
It should be

II think accepted name is Terminalia elliptica Willd. (syn: T. tomentosa Wight & Arn.; T. alata B. Heyne ex Roth)

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Nudrat Sayed

7 Dec 2010, 1:35:24 pm07/12/10
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Hi Doc,

We, here in Maharashtra follow Dr. Almeida and according to him the new name of T. tomentosa is T. crenulata

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Pankaj Kumar <sahani...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear doc,
I thought the accepted name for Terminalia tomentosa is Terminalia alata.
Do let me know if I am wrong!
Regards
Pankaj

--
Warm Regards
Sayed Nudrat Zawar

Pankaj Kumar

7 Dec 2010, 1:37:31 pm07/12/10
to Nudrat Sayed, efloraofindia
Can you please give the full author citation of crenulata if it is not
a new species?
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

7 Dec 2010, 3:15:45 pm07/12/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Nudrat Sayed, efloraofindia
Nudrat ji you are partly right

New accepted name for T. tomentosa Wight & Arnot. is without any doubt T. elliptica Willd.

The problem is that Indian plant had been wrongly identified as T. tomentosa in Flora of British India and several other Indian works. It correctly identifies with T. crenulata Roth. As such T. tomentosa of Indian authors  (better written as auct: (and not Wight & Arnot.) is now correctly known as T. crenulata Roth