Flora of Mississippi, USA-003

Skip to the first unread message

Vijayasankar

29 Apr 2011, 11:27:52 pm29/04/11
to indiatreepix
Liquidambar styraciflua is indigenous in N.America, and also commonly planted as an ornamental. The tree at present is in flowering and I shall send the pictures soon.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Liquidambar styraciflua (2).JPG
Liquidambar styraciflua (6).JPG

Gurcharan Singh

30 Apr 2011, 1:38:34 am30/04/11
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Vijayasankar ji
You are tempting me to upload mine from California. I have more than 1000 species from the area photographed during three years of visit.
Here are of this species, commonest in our apartment complex in Sunnyvale.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Vijayasankar

30 Apr 2011, 2:55:15 am30/04/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indiatreepix
1000 species?!!! WOW!
...a potential resource supplement to Calflora...
Thanks Gurcharan ji, now I decided to post all my unidentified plants also...

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Ushadi micromini

30 Apr 2011, 8:56:29 pm30/04/11
to efloraofindia
Dr Raman and Dr Gurucharan ji:
This is very commonly planted street tree in some neighborhoods...in
NY.. and in Connecticut... called sweetgum... the leaves are unique,
and the seepods scratchy to say the least...

Leaves turn kinda brown in NY but its bright orangeish red in CT....

And Dr Gurucharanji...1000? wow... cant wait to see ....
Usha di

===========

On Apr 30, 8:27 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Liquidambar styraciflua *is indigenous in N.America, and also commonly
>  Liquidambar styraciflua (2).JPG
> 135KViewDownload
>
>  Liquidambar styraciflua (6).JPG
> 74KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

30 Apr 2011, 10:21:32 pm30/04/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Yes Usha di
You know when I visited USA in 2008 and saw it for the first time, Platanus and Acer (maple) came to my mind, leaves of maple and infl. of Platanus, till I finally got it identified through TAXACOM Group.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

ushadi Micromini

1 May 2011, 3:18:07 am01/05/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurucharanji:
Is n't it exhilarating (at least for me it is) when I track down the identity of some plant... based on photos or finally description, toxonomic details...though I am not very comfortable with taxonomy yet...  thogh I imagine it can't be any more difficult to master than the weird rare cancers.... or endocrime  or immunological disorders....

were you elated when you discovered the sweetgum identity?  I do not remember if it turns any nice color in california...
Usha di
===

Gurcharan Singh

1 May 2011, 8:01:46 am01/05/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Yes in the same way as maple turns up in autumn in USA and Europe