Victoria amazonica

Skip to the first unread message

Shantanu Bhattacharya

26 Aug 2010, 3:58:47 pm26/08/10
to efloraofindia
Hi
taken these snaps of Victoria amazonica (the largest water lily) found in the shallow waters of the Amazon basin.
Pic taken at Indian Botanic Garden. Kolkata.
A pond heron sitting on the huge floating leaf in the 3rd pic.

regards
Shantanu : )
100_0460.jpg
100_0461.jpg
100_0434.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

26 Aug 2010, 4:03:41 pm26/08/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
I have never been able to see this plant in leaves during my CNH
visits. There is a picture of this plant somewhere in CNH or BSD where
a baby girl is sitting on the floating leaves. I love this plant.
Thanks for sharing.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

tanay bose

26 Aug 2010, 9:18:35 pm26/08/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Thanks for sharing the pictures Shantanu Da
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Gurcharan Singh

26 Aug 2010, 10:17:47 pm26/08/10
to tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Shantanu ji
A real treat to our eyes. Thanks for showing this great plant.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Shantanu

27 Aug 2010, 12:26:10 pm27/08/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Tanay, Gurcharan ji and Pankaj ji...for your nice
comments.

Regards
Shantanu : )