Brahmakamal

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Apr 7, 2011, 1:23:00 PM4/7/11
to indiantreepix
Please see the link in flickr:

One is the cabbage like flower which is the real Brahmakamal foound in the Himalayas and in Valley of Flowers. The other is found in the plains, and is probably a cactus flower, I am not sure. Saussurea obvallata is used for both the flowers. What are the botanical name of the two? Thanks,
ak

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Tabish

Apr 7, 2011, 2:32:17 PM4/7/11
to efloraofindia
Saussurea obvallata is the Himalayan plant, which is called Brahma
Kamal - I would call it the real Brahma Kamal.
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Brahma%20Kamal.html
The other one is a cactus, native to South America, most likely
Epiphyllum oxypetalum. It is grown as a houseplant in many parts of
India. I would love to know how it came to be called Brahmakamal in
Maharashtra. That seems to be a recent development.
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Orchid%20Cactus.html
- Tabish

On Apr 7, 10:23 pm, Anand Kumar Bhatt <anandkbh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please see the link in flickr:http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=brahma+kamal&m=text
>
> <http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=brahma+kamal&m=text>One is the
> cabbage like flower which is the real Brahmakamal foound in the Himalayas
> and in Valley of Flowers. The other is found in the plains, and is probably
> a cactus flower, I am not sure. Saussurea obvallata is used for both the
> flowers. What are the botanical name of the two? Thanks,
> ak
>
> --
> Anand Kumar Bhatt
> A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
> Gwalior. 474 005.
> Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
> My blogsite is at:http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
> (A NEW BLOG has been ADDED ON 15 March 2011.)
> And the photo site:www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/>(NEW PHOTOS HAVE BEEN ADDED ON 11

Pankaj Kumar

Apr 7, 2011, 6:39:38 PM4/7/11
to indiantreepix, Tabish Qureshi, Anand Kumar Bhatt
There is a slok in sanskrit which says, offering a single brahmakamal
to god is equivalent to offering  1000 flowers. I am eagerly waiting
for someone to share this slok as it is planned to be a part of one of
our articles on this plant. This is referred to Saussurea obvallata
which is highly fragrant. You can smell it from a distance. Even the
leaves have smell and it is found on higher altitudes.
These pictures were taken on the other side of Hemkunt lake (which is
a forbidden zone for tourists). In the third pic on the backgroun id
the lake and the famous Sikh pilgrim place called Hemkunt Sahib.
In the link provided by Bhatt sir, there is infact one Saussurea
obvallata rest are cactus, Epiphyllum oxypetalum.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Slide101.JPG
Slide102.JPG
Slide103.JPG

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Apr 8, 2011, 9:02:37 AM4/8/11
to Mahadeswara, Tabish, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thank you Tabish, Pankaj and Mahadeshwara. The confusion is over.
ak

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Mahadeswara <swamy...@gmail.com> wrote:
In Souther india Epiphyllum oxypetalum is regarded as the Brahma
kamal, though  Saussurea obvallata is supposed to be the real brahma
kamal.     I have one in my house, which would flower during the hot
summer (mostly May) during night.

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A NEW BLOG has been ADDED ON 15 March 2011.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/

Ushadi micromini

Apr 8, 2011, 12:07:04 PM4/8/11
to efloraofindia
Dear All and Mr. Bhatt... not so fast, ha ha...
I'll add to your confusion (and mine)...
The so called real Brahma Kamal *Saussurea obvallata* is only one of
the pictures in the flicker group labeled as Brahma Kamal....
The rest of the pictures in the flicker group are a plants group that
I know of as NITE BLOMMING CEREUS....
One of which is *Epiphyllum oxypetalum*..I had one growing in my
apartment, dining room table in NY, from a cutting from THE HIMALAYAN
INSTITUTE in Pennsylvania... where it apparently had some spiritual
meaning to the core group of devotees of Swami Rama, who would stay up
thru the nite when one bud was about ready to open, being a full moon
nite in summer (its bat pollinated, and being white it is best to open
during a bright nite , I guess)...they did not call it Brahma Kamal
though.. and this is the one found in Southern Indian states and
called there..brahma kamal.. and is photographed the most and
published in the flicker group ....

Other nite blooming cereus I have seen in botanical gardens is the one
called Hylocereus undatus (Red Pitaya or dragon fruit) ..very similar
flowers but stems are different and growing habits etc and seeds are
different sizes and numbers in fruits of *epiphyllum oxypetalum*.

There are several other plants with similar flowers which bloom at
nite... and are called nite blooming cereus...wikipedia has a short
list at : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightblooming_cereus#cite_note-2.
And I QUOTE FROM IT
"(( Night-blooming cereus, also called Queen of the night or Reina de
la noche, are names of several genera and species of nightblooming
cactus, including:
* Echinopsis, e.g. E. pachanoi (San Pedro Cactus)
* Epiphyllum, e.g. E. oxypetalum (Dutchman's Pipe Cactus)
* Hylocereus, e.g. H. undatus (Red Pitaya or dragon fruit)
* Peniocereus, e.g. P. greggii (Arizona Queen-of-the-night)
* Selenicereus, e.g. S. grandiflorus (Vanilla Cactus), probably
the most famous))" END QUOTE ..

Sorry to do this but it had me confused for a long time in
1991 ...when I first acquired the cutting and did not have wikipedia
then... had to impose on the librarians at the NY botanical garden...
who helped a great deal...

This also goes to show us (me) that just like many regions of the
world call different plants nite blooming cereus, two regions in India
call different plants Brahma Kamal...

To add to the confusion *Saussurea obvallata* is often called
STHALAPADMINI (by Kalidasa) or STHALAPADMA in sanskrit ... And here
in Calcutta, West Bengal *Hibiscus mutabilis* is called sthalpadma or
sthalopoddo as it is pronounced locally, there are several growing in
gardens in my neighborhood...
Regards,
Ushadi
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/>(NEW PHOTOS HAVE BEEN ADDED ON 11

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 8, 2011, 12:18:38 PM4/8/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Usha ji

I had uploaded the dragon fruit during the Fruits & vegetables Week. It is common fruit these days in marriage parties.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ushadi micromini

Apr 8, 2011, 12:20:49 PM4/8/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Pankaj Kumar ji:

I do not know of that particular shloka that you have mentioned... I
am sure its in some "newer" tantras or mantra books...

But I do remember a lecture fragment from 2000 by Professor Dr.
Mayaram Uniyal and from my class notes from one of his lectures I give
you this... Brahmakamal in Sanskrit shloka: This the last part of
verse 30 in 2nd khanda or Uttar khnada of Meghdoot where Mahakavi
Kalidas writes
” साभ्रेऽह्नीव स्थलकमलिनीं न प्रबुद्वां न सुप्ताम् ॥३०॥“ meaning “like
Landlotuses on an overcast day, neither open nor closed…. The lovelorn
Yaksha is talking of his wife’s tear laden eyes….
and while I researched the original sanskrit text I found this on the
internet today ...full Sanskrit text of this sloka...
पादानिन्दोरमृतशिशिरान् जालमार्गप्रविष्टान् पूर्वप्रीत्या गतमभिमुखं
संनिवृत्तं तथैव ।
चक्षु: खेदात् सलिलगुरुभि: पक्ष्मभिश्छादयन्तीं
साभ्रेऽह्नीव स्थलकमलिनीं न प्रबुद्वां न सुप्ताम् ॥३०॥
at this url: http://litgloss.buffalo.edu/kalidas/text2.shtml on
4/8/2011 8:40:59 PM....

Dr. Uniyal is very knowledgeable and helpful kinda guy... he lives in
Rohini Delhi, the last time I saw him in 2001...
its in your neck of the woods, you can perhaps track him down...
Hope it helps, and if you use this in your write up I would hope that
you would credit Dr. Uniyal for leading you to it...and Mahakavi
Kalidas for writing it.

Thanks.
Usha di (Usha Desai MD)

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 8, 2011, 12:26:13 PM4/8/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Usha ji for interesting write ups

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ushadi micromini

Apr 8, 2011, 12:51:10 PM4/8/11
to efloraofindia
Yes, Dr. Singh, I get this here at the 5 star hotels that fly them in
from Indonesia...matter of fact I photographed my lunch plate one day
3 -4 years ago...much to the chef's chagrin because the manager
thought we may be from other hotel and copying their
dishes!!!....modern fears!! your pictures are nice...Usha di.

Ushadi micromini

Apr 8, 2011, 12:53:04 PM4/8/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Dr. Singh: you are welcome, glad you like them..Hope it helps
Pankaj ji somehow Usha di.

On Apr 8, 9:26 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Usha ji for interesting write ups
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Ushadi micromini

Ushadi micromini

Apr 8, 2011, 10:46:25 PM4/8/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Dr. Biswas: That's dedication... do you get nice flowers? have
you got seeds?
usha di

Rakesh Biswas to me

show details 10:55 PM (9 hours ago)

Thanks Ushadi for this very interesting piece.

I have a nice Sthalpadma ( hibiscus mutabilis ) here in Bhopal brought
from Kolkata.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Apr 9, 2011, 3:21:09 AM4/9/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Ushadi, there are several photographs of the real Himalayan Brahmakamal in the flickr link. Max are on page 4: 21,27,30,33,35,39,41,42,44,47,49,51,53,56,58.
Pictures which stand out are 56,58 on page 4 and 22,32 on page 5.
Thanks for the wealth of information you all have given. I dont think such info you can get anywhere else in the country at one place. Hats off to you all.

Best wishes,
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A NEW BLOG has been ADDED ON 15 March 2011.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/

Rakesh Biswas

Apr 9, 2011, 3:37:54 AM4/9/11
to indiantreepix
Thanks Anand Ji and Usha di,

I am not sure but the frost did take its toll on a lot of our plants and the 'hibiscus mutabilis' is yet to flower.

The Spathodea Campanulata that was planted as a large tree lost all its leaves recently ( even while elsewhere its brethren seems to have flourished ) along with a large Mimusops Elengi where the leaves have withered and are on the verge of falling and the tree is sadly perhaps ready to leave.

A large well grown jackfruit tree tended for the last three years breathed its last recently but we suspect it could be due to some possible fungal infection and not just the frost.

However hopefully some of the saplings of 'Buchanania lanzan,' Mitragyna parviflora, Ficus Infectoria and Schleicheria Oleosa that we had given up for good just after the frost seem to be slowly coming to life again with spring.

Would be good to know of others experience with the frost that recently ravaged central India.

regards,

rakesh

Why dont you post a picture of hibiscus mutabilis? It must be blooming these days.
ak

Mahadeswara