Ipomea chinensis

Neil Soares

Oct 12, 2009, 12:48:14 PM10/12/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com

Hi,

 Dr.Almeida spent the day at my farm at Shahapur yesterday.

 Sending photographs of some of the plants identified by him including some clarifications and corrections.

Ipomea chinensis the only Ipomea species that can be confused with Ipomea clarkei has cordate leaves.

                         With regards,

                           Neil Soares.

Ipomea chinensis 1.jpg
Ipomea chinensis 2.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Oct 12, 2009, 11:31:02 PM10/12/09
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Neil ji,

I yet think this to be Ipomoea triloba,
Also your other post with lobed leaves, put as I. clarkei, must also be I. triloba.

References for description:

Ipomoea triloba is a species of morning glory known by several common names, including littlebell and Aiea morning glory. It is native to the tropical Americas but it is widespread in warm areas of the world where it is an introduced species and often a noxious weed. This is a fast-growing vining annual herb producing long, thin stems with ivylike petioled, heart-shaped leaves 3 to 6 centimeters long. The leaves sometimes, but not always, have three lobes. The vines produce tubular bell-shaped flowers each about two centimeters long. They are quite variable in color, in shades of pink, red or lavender with or without white markings.

Annual
Leaf simple; blade 3–6 cm, cordate, ± acuminate, entire or 3-lobed, glabrous
Inflorescence: peduncles 1–5-flowered
Flower: sepals ± 8 mm, ± narrowly ovate, acuminate; corolla 1.2–2 cm, narrowly bell-shaped, shallowly 5-lobed
Chromosomes: 2n=30
Ecology: Fields, orchards, other disturbed places
Elevation: -34–50 m.
Bioregional distribution: Sonoran Desert
Distribution outside California: native to tropical America
Weedy.

Pictorial references:

 Regards.

Neil Soares

Oct 14, 2009, 9:14:29 AM10/14/09
to WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Hi Dinesh,
 Spoke to Dr.Almeida. There is no comparison between the two. The flowers of I.triloba are much larger than those of I.clarkei. Please refer to Ingalhalikar's book vol.2 for a photograph of I.triloba.
                 Regards,
                   Neil.

--- On Tue, 10/13/09, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:

--~--~------ ---~--~-- --~------ ------~-- -----~--~ ----~
-~---------- ~----~--- -~----~-- ----~---- ~------~- -~---

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Sitebuilder
quickly & easily
with Sitebuilder.
Yahoo! Groups
Join a community
for cat lovers
Find helpful tips
on the Yahoo!
Groups team blog.
.

Dinesh Valke

Oct 14, 2009, 1:22:19 PM10/14/09
to Neil Soares, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Neil ji, I agree there is no comparison beyween the two species.
The line "The flowers of I.triloba are much larger than those of I.clarkei." confuses me ... Ingalhalikar's book illustrate these species the other way.

Unfortunately and strangely. description of I. clarkei on internet is just not available.

However there are many good sites giving description and illustration of I. triloba, for instance:

Many thanks Neil ji.
Regards.