Prickly climber for Id 240909SNP

satish pardeshi

Sep 24, 2009, 8:56:38 AM9/24/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all
This extensive climber was observed in the forest areas of Borkhed,
Buldhana in December 08
the weak purplish stem is covered with soft prickles. the fruit and
seeds point out towards Ipomoea species.
i was not able to observe the flowers as the flowering season was already over.

please help in Id.

regards
Satish Pardeshi

240909SNPf.JPG
240909SNPa.JPG
240909SNPb.JPG
240909SNPc.JPG
240909SNPd.JPG
240909SNPe.JPG

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 24, 2009, 9:09:56 AM9/24/09
to indiantreepix, satish pardeshi
Isnt it a variety of Woodrose?
madhuri

--- On Thu, 24/9/09, satish pardeshi <satishp...@gmail.com> wrote:
From cricket scores to your friends. Try the Yahoo! India Homepage! http://in.yahoo.com/trynew

Vijayasankar Raman

Sep 25, 2009, 2:51:03 AM9/25/09
to satish pardeshi, indiantreepix
Dear Satish,

This looks like Ipomoea muricata.

This species (with handsome blue flowers that used to open by 6 am and fade early by 10 am) was dominating the annual weed flora of bangalore in 2007, replacing the previous year's Chromolaena odorata. The year 2008 saw a robust growth of Datura species (D. ferox, D. metel). Now the same habitats are covered with a lush growth of Cassia tora and Cassia uniflora.

regards

R. Vijayasankar

Swagat

Sep 25, 2009, 11:48:50 PM9/25/09
to Vijayasankar Raman, satish pardeshi, indiantreepix
Dear all,

'Ipomoea muricata' is called 'Bhingari' 'भिंगरी' / Barik Bhovari' 'बारीक भोवरी' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

devendra

Sep 25, 2009, 11:54:20 PM9/25/09
to indiantreepix, formp...@yahoo.com, jay.bo...@gmail.com, satishp...@gmail.com
Forwarding again for Id confirmation pl.
Earlier relevant feedback

Isnt it a variety of Woodrose?
madhuri

Dear Satish,

This looks like *Ipomoea muricata*.

This species (with handsome blue flowers that used to open by 6 am and
fade
early by 10 am) was dominating the annual weed flora of bangalore in
2007,

replacing the previous year's *Chromolaena odorata*. The year 2008 saw
robust growth of *Datura* species (*D. ferox, D. metel*). Now the
same
habitats are covered with a lush growth of *Cassia tora* and *Cassia
uniflora*.

regards

R. Vijayasankar

J.M. Garg

Dec 14, 2010, 12:34:21 AM12/14/10
to satish pardeshi, indiantreepix, Ron_Convolvulaceae, Madhuri Pejaver, Vijayasankar Raman, Swagat, Devendra Bhardwaj

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1465 members & 56,400 messages on 9/12/10 & with a database of around 4350 species on 15/11/10)

C KUNHIKANNAN

Dec 18, 2010, 1:42:50 PM12/18/10
to Vijayasankar Raman, satish pardeshi, indiantreepix
It is Ipomoea muricata. young fruits are edible. it is called in
Malayalam as Nithya vazhuthina. Instead of brinjal it can be used in
preparation of sambar

Dr. C.Kunhikannan,
Division of Biodiversity,
Institute of Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding,
Forest Campus,  R.S.Puram,
Coimbatore-641002, Tamilnadu.