abutilon indicum

Mohina Macker

Oct 21, 2011, 2:15:00 AM10/21/11
to efloraofindia
abutilon indicum
been seeing it in flower for the last couple of weeks, in alibaug
the flowers are small, about 12 mm or so
regards
mohina macker
DSCN0755a.jpg
DSCN0769aa.jpg

H S

Oct 21, 2011, 6:34:41 AM10/21/11
to Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
I guess this is Sida cordifolia

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 21, 2011, 6:49:58 AM10/21/11
to H S, Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
Yes it is not Abutilon
The second photograph I agree with H S, belongs to S. cordifolia, but interesting the first photograph appears different. Longer slender pedicels and slender stems, smaller flowers suggest S. cordata (syn: S. veronicifolia) for the first photograph.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

hari lal

Oct 21, 2011, 6:52:04 AM10/21/11
to Gurcharan Singh, H S, Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
yes sida cordifolia
--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR

Mohina Macker

Oct 21, 2011, 8:01:33 AM10/21/11
to hari lal, Gurcharan Singh, H S, efloraofindia

many many thanks for all the identifications
ireally appreciate all the time that goes in
i have added another photograph of the same plant as 755
maybe it will help
regards
mohina

DSCN0757a.jpg

Neil Soares

Oct 21, 2011, 9:25:45 AM10/21/11
to hari lal, Mohina Macker, Gurcharan Singh, H S, efloraofindia
Hi Mohina,
 Just checked your photographs. This is also Sida cordata.
                       Regards,
                        Neil.

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 21, 2011, 11:15:07 AM10/21/11
to Mohina Macker, hari lal, Gurcharan Singh, H S, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Erect herb, leaves cordate and hairy (stem too), pedicel is shorter than peduncle: Sida cordifolia

Trailing herb, leaves faintly hairy or even sometimes glabrous pedicel is as long as or longer than peduncle: Sida cordata

My guess, based on the pedicel length, is that this plant is S. cordifolia of Malvaceae family

Regards,
Giby
--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 21, 2011, 11:46:31 AM10/21/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Mohina Macker, hari lal, H S, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
The first photograph (DSCN0755a.jpg) and photograph uploaded subsequently (DSCN0757a.jpg) belong to Sida cordata (syn: S. veronicifolia)

Second photograph (DSCN0769aa.jpg) Sida cordifolia

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vijayasankar

Oct 21, 2011, 12:00:35 PM10/21/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Giby Kuriakose, Mohina Macker, hari lal, H S, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
To me all three pictures look like Sida cordata, as suggested by Neil ji.
Pl see this link for S. cordifolia  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sida_cordifolia_%28Bala%29_in_Hyderabad,_AP_W_IMG_9420.jpg

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 21, 2011, 12:47:27 PM10/21/11
to Vijayasankar, Giby Kuriakose, Mohina Macker, hari lal, H S, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
To me leaf shape, colour, and very short pedicel of second photograph can't be ignored. The other two have slender long pedicel of S. cordata.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ushadi micromini

Oct 21, 2011, 11:30:34 PM10/21/11
to efloraofindia
FOR NON BOTANISTS:
INCLUDING MYSELF:

Peduncle has different meaning(s) in medicine...
so had to do some reading:

the nuances are different in Botany:
this is what I learnt today: RE-LEARNT: since after 1962/3... ha ha..
A Pedicle, Pedicel, and Peduncle are the same thing : A stalk...
and leaf stalk is different named....

A pedicle is what we use mostly in medicine: stalk or a long base of
a tumor, benign or malignant....

A leaf stalk is called : A petiole

A stalk of a flower cluster is called: Peduncle
A stalk of a single flower (when it grows independently, not part of a
cluster) is called : Peduncle

A stalk of an individual flower in a cluster or an inflorescence is
called : Pedicel
A stalk of a moss capsule is also called: Pedicel:

Source: based this on a few dictionaries ...

An extensively illustrated Taxonomic dictionary for botany would be
very handy...
don't have one in my library.. could you please suggest one?
thanks for the lesson.... Everybody....
usha di
======

On Oct 21, 9:47 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To me leaf shape, colour, and very short pedicel of second photograph can't
> be ignored. The other two have slender long pedicel of S. cordata.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > To me all three pictures look like Sida cordata, as suggested by Neil ji.
> > Pl see this link for S. cordifolia
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sida_cordifolia_%28Bala%29_in_Hyder...
>
> > Regards
>
> > Vijayasankar Raman
> > National Center for Natural Products Research
> > University of Mississippi
>
> > On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> The first photograph (*DSCN0755a.jpg) *and photograph uploaded
> >> subsequently (*DSCN0757a.jpg) *belong to Sida cordata (syn: S.
> >> veronicifolia)
>
> >> Second photograph (*DSCN0769aa.jpg) Sida cordifolia*
> >> *
> >> *
> >> *
> >> *
> >> --
> >> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >> Retired  Associate Professor
> >> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> >> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Giby Kuriakose <giby.kuriak...@gmail.com

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 21, 2011, 11:50:51 PM10/21/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Just to add to useful information by Ushadi

Peduncle and scape are two terms which we use for the stalk of the inflorescence having no leaves on it.

When this arises from aerial branches, we call it peduncle (Ixora, Cassia, Acacia, etc.), situation is tricky in some plants with solitary flowers like say Hibiscus, where lower portion of stalk is peduncle, upper pedicel, and a joint between the two point of separation: position often an important taxonomic character.

When this stalk arises from basal rosette of leaves, like in onion (and other Allium sp.), some Crinum species, we call it scape (and not peduncle) and inflorescence scapigerous .

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Neil Soares

Oct 22, 2011, 12:06:00 AM10/22/11
to efloraofindia, Ushadi micromini
Hi,
 Would suggest you buy a basic textbook of Botany used in colleges.  A.C.Dutta's 'A Class Book of Botany' would do for starters.
                      With regards,
                        Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Oct 22, 2011, 12:20:15 AM10/22/11
to efloraofindia, Ushadi micromini
Hi,
 My apologies. Prof. Singh would be the right person to suggest this - possibly one of the many books authoured by him.
 The book I have suggeste is available in Bombay. Another book [with difficulty] is 'A Textbook of Systemic Botany' by Prof. R.N.Sutaria.
                     With regards,
                       Neil Soares.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 22, 2011, 12:23:52 AM10/22/11
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia, Ushadi micromini
Neil ji
No two opinions. We all have graduated reading A. C. Dutta

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

ushadi Micromini

Oct 22, 2011, 4:29:46 AM10/22/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Dear Neil and Gurcharanji:
1: thank you for the two book names.
2: Thanks for adding the info...
esp about the pedicel/pedical of Hibiscus...
that's why the flower breaks off so easily the day after blooming and often falls off on its own leaving behind a segment of the stalk..
next time it happens I'll look at it with a little more knowing eyes.
Usha di
=============

J.M. Garg

Apr 13, 2021, 12:24:31 PM4/13/21
to efloraofindia, Mohina Macker, Vijayasankar Raman, Neil Soares, GurcharanSingh
I think it will be Sida mysorensis Wight & Arn. as per discussions at efi thread., as this one has branched inflorescence, whereas, flowers in S. cordata are solitary.

Apr 14, 2021, 2:30:08 AM4/14/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Neil Soares, GurcharanSingh
Dear Garg Ji
thank you for this information

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Apr 14, 2021, 7:33:12 AM4/14/21
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, Vijayasankar Raman, Neil Soares, GurcharanSingh
Yes it's Garg Ji,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 04/14/21, 05:02:27 PM