Tricholepis amplexicaulis_8 NOV 09_SSN

shubhada nikharge

Nov 8, 2009, 2:40:26 PM11/8/09
to indian tree pix
Hi,
flower of Tricholepis amplexicaulis. (pics taken at Conservation Education Centre, Goregaon E, Mumbai on 8th Nov 09)
Common name: Hill thistle
Family : Asteraceae
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Yahoo! India has a new look. Take a sneak peek.
Tricholepis amplexicaulis flower Hill thistle Asteraceae 2009_1108_cec_0155 e.JPG
Tricholepis amplexicaulis flower bud Hill thistle Asteraceae 2009_1108_cec_0156 e.JPG
Tricholepis amplexicaulis flower closeup Hill thistle Asteraceae 2009_1108_cec_0167 e.JPG
Tricholepis amplexicaulis Hill thistle Asteraceae 2009_1108_cec_0046 e.JPG
Tricholepis amplexicaulis leaves Hill thistle Asteraceae 2009_1108_cec_0057 e.JPG

Swapna Prabhu

Nov 8, 2009, 11:33:17 PM11/8/09
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Dear Shubhada,

Just wanted to bring it to notice.....

In your last photograph, (Tricholepis amplexicaulis leaves Hill thistle Asteraceae 2009_1108_cec_0057 e.JPG) the leaves prominently seen are of sapling of Garuga pinnata. The leaves of Tricholepis amplexicaulis are in the background (narrow ones).

Cheers,

- Swapna.
--
Dr. Swapna Prabhu
Systematic Botanist/ Taxonomist

shubhada nikharge

Nov 9, 2009, 12:05:19 AM11/9/09
to Swapna Prabhu, indian tree pix
Dear Swapna,
yes. u r right.
thanx for clearing my confusion.
when i downloaded the pics at home and checked with the pics from Issac's book i was confused.
I knew for sure that someone from the group would comment on this. I am sorry i should have raised my doubt in my mail.

Garg ji,
shall i resend the pics after deleting the last 3 pics of leaves?
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Nov 10, 2009, 8:53:00 AM11/10/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Shubhada,

I note that leaves are not auricled, the plant is not stout (2 mts
high), the head is smaller than 3 cm and the bracts are not with long
recurved bristles. I think that the plant is T. glaberrima. T.
amplexicaulis grows at high elevations. Regds

Shrikant Ingalhalikar

On Nov 9, 12:40 am, shubhada nikharge <shubhada_nikha...@yahoo.co.in>
wrote:
> Hi,
> flower of Tricholepis amplexicaulis. (pics taken at Conservation Education Centre, Goregaon E, Mumbai on 8th Nov 09)
> Common name: Hill thistle
> Family : Asteraceae
>
> Cheers,
> Shubhada
>
> "I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."
>
>       Keep up with people you care about with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn how.http://in.overview.mail.yahoo.com/connectmore
>
>  Tricholepis amplexicaulis flower Hill thistle Asteraceae 2009_1108_cec_0155 e.JPG
> 67KViewDownload
>
>  Tricholepis amplexicaulis flower bud Hill thistle Asteraceae 2009_1108_cec_0156 e.JPG
> 59KViewDownload
>
>  Tricholepis amplexicaulis flower closeup Hill thistle Asteraceae 2009_1108_cec_0167 e.JPG
> 76KViewDownload
>
>  Tricholepis amplexicaulis Hill thistle Asteraceae 2009_1108_cec_0046 e.JPG
> 85KViewDownload
>
>  Tricholepis amplexicaulis leaves Hill thistle Asteraceae 2009_1108_cec_0057 e.JPG
> 124KViewDownload

shubhada nikharge

Nov 10, 2009, 9:49:27 AM11/10/09
to shrikant ingalhalikar, indiantreepix
Yes. u r absolutely right. it is. T. glaberrima.
i am really sorry. i should have checked other species.

Ur book is not available in Mumbai in Strand book depot. My friend wants to buy a copy of 2nd vol.
Thanx again for sending me another cd. ( An old story. I have yet to return u the extra cd that u sent to me on my request. Both cds are now opening without any problem. The problem was with old O.S. of my P.C.)