Zehneria indica from Dakpathar

Skip to the first unread message

Gurcharan Singh

23 Sept 2011, 4:13:20 am23/09/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish

Zehneria indica (Lour.) Keraudren, Fl. Cambodge, Laos & Vietnam 15: 52 52 1975

Syn: Melothria indica Lour.Melothria odorata Hook. f. & Thomson ex C.B. Clarke

Climbing herb with tendrils; leaves usually 3-lobed, cordate, 4-7 cm long, petiole 3-4 cm long; male flowers in clusters, white, corolla hairy; female flower single; fruit 1.2-1.5 cm across, globose, finally orange.

Photographed near Dakpathar on September 16, 2011

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

23 Sept 2011, 5:30:39 am23/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Sir I think you missed the attachments
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Gurcharan Singh

23 Sept 2011, 6:16:55 am23/09/11
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish

Zehneria indica (Lour.) Keraudren, Fl. Cambodge, Laos & Vietnam 15: 52 52 1975

Syn: Melothria indica Lour.Melothria odorata Hook. f. & Thomson ex C.B. Clarke

Climbing herb with tendrils; leaves usually 3-lobed, cordate, 4-7 cm long, petiole 3-4 cm long; male flowers in clusters, white, corolla hairy; female flower single; fruit 1.2-1.5 cm across, globose, finally orange.

Photographed near Dakpathar on September 16, 2011

Thanks Balkar ji for pointing out

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Zehneria-indica-Dakpathar-1.jpg
Zehneria-indica-Dakpathar-2.jpg
Zehneria-indica-Dakpathar-3.jpg
Zehneria-indica-Dakpathar-4.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

23 Sept 2011, 8:34:23 am23/09/11
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Balkar ji
I think you are right. This is Diplocyclos palmatus (L.) C. Jeffrey (syn: Bryonia palmata)
Yes I had also seen the same links for Zehneria and was unsure about white patches on fruit and much shorter pedicels especially in female flower. Thanks for pointing it out and making me correct my identification..

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

23 Sept 2011, 8:42:31 am23/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Thanks Sir for sorting out the matter

Vijayasankar

24 Nov 2013, 4:38:29 pm24/11/13
to Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
I agree with the ID: Diplocyclos palmatus.

Regards

Vijayasankar
Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
University of Mississippi