Flora of Manipur: Polygonum molle

Skip to the first unread message

Vijayasankar

9 Sept 2010, 11:55:02 pm09/09/10
to indiatreepix
Polygonum molle from Manipur. Pl note the infra-specific variation in flower colour.

With regards

Vijayasankar
polygonum molle_1.JPG
polygonum molle_2.JPG
polygonum molle_3.JPG

tanay bose

10 Sept 2010, 12:37:32 am10/09/10
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Lovely catch of the very common Polygonum, I have a herbarium speciemen with me in India
I callected the plant from Sikkim
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Ritesh Choudhary

10 Sept 2010, 1:05:17 am10/09/10
to efloraofindia
Vijayji,

I suppose this to be as P. orientale. Ochrea with leaf like wing is an
identifying character clearly visible in your first foto. The sps. is
very common in Assam and Arunachal also.

What do u say??

Regards,
Ritesh.

On Sep 10, 1:37 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lovely catch of the very common Polygonum, I have a herbarium speciemen with
> me in India
> I callected the plant from Sikkim
> Tanay
>
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > *Polygonum molle *from Manipur. Pl note the infra-specific variation in
> > flower colour.
>
> > With regards
>
> > Vijayasankar
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*

Tabish

10 Sept 2010, 1:11:45 am10/09/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Vijaysankar,
I am not able to convince myself that this is Polygonum molle, from
the overall appearance. Also, the leaves of P. molle have wedge-
shaped (cuneate) base, whereas the base of the leaves of your plants
are flat to heart-shaped.
Am not able to give much suggestion.
- Tabish

On Sep 10, 8:55 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Polygonum molle *from Manipur. Pl note the infra-specific variation in
> flower colour.
>
> With regards
>
> Vijayasankar
>
>  polygonum molle_1.JPG
> 232KViewDownload
>
>  polygonum molle_2.JPG
> 146KViewDownload
>
>  polygonum molle_3.JPG
> 132KViewDownload

Vijayasankar

10 Sept 2010, 1:38:41 am10/09/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks Tabish ji & Ritesh ji for pointing out the blunder. I was careless in idying this i think. Agree with Ritesh ji's id.

With regards

Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

10 Sept 2010, 1:42:06 am10/09/10
to tanay bose, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Now better placed as Aconogonum molle (D. Don) H. Hara (syn: Polygonum molle D. Don).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

10 Sept 2010, 2:03:18 am10/09/10
to tanay bose, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
If this is Persicaria orientalis (syn: Polygogonum orientale), then perhaps my Kashmir plant needs recheck. Perhaps Ritesh ji can help.

I can upload more photographs if Ritesh ji wishes.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vijayasankar

10 Sept 2010, 2:06:28 am10/09/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, indiatreepix
Thanks for the update Gurcharan ji. This is why taxonomy is considered a dynamic subject.

May be your plants are of hybrids, let's hear from others.

With regards

Vijayasankar

Ritesh Choudhary

10 Sept 2010, 2:32:02 am10/09/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks for the interest Gurucharanji,

I agree with Vijayji views! May be your plants are hybrid. I also had
a doubt on my Arunachal's plant. I carried out mol. systematic studies
on the same and the sequences are 100% matching with the NCBI data
available for P. orientalis.

Regards,
Ritesh.