Solanum for ID.

Skip to the first unread message

arvind kadus

27 Aug 2010, 1:55:02 pm27/08/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All, In the garden of a small bunglow near Taljai hill there is a plant from Solanaceae. The people from that house are making Bhaji/ Sabji from that fruits like Baingan or Vangi in Marathi. But this plant is having the height about 10 ft and above with flowers and fruits also.
Please Id the species.
Thanks,
Dr. Kadus Arvind.Pune.
27th Aug 2010.

Solanum sp.A.JPG
Solanum sp.B.JPG
Solanum sp.C.JPG

tanay bose

27 Aug 2010, 4:20:14 pm27/08/10
to arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
this some kind of baigan, but never seen it before
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Gurcharan Singh

27 Aug 2010, 11:12:56 pm27/08/10
to tanay bose, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Tanay
It is Solanum melongena. The species I think shows a lot of variation. The fruits are characteristic. Last week I collected what I thought some unique species of Solanum, but in ultimate analysis it turned out to be S. melongena only, although there was no trace of any prickles. I am uploading the same.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

27 Aug 2010, 11:16:04 pm27/08/10
to Gurcharan Singh, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you sir !! this was a googly for me and got bowled out . In Bengal never seen a Solanum melongena plant so big thanks again for bringing it to my knowledge.
Tanay

Dr. Arvind Kadus

28 Aug 2010, 8:04:19 am28/08/10
to efloraofindia, sing...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com
Thank you,
Tanay Ji & Gurucharan Ji, for the ID. Now I have asked the plant owner
to give me the seeds. Whenever possible we can eat then Baingan
Bharata at my home. You all are invited.
It may possible in future. Gurucharan Ji your son is in Pune, if any
kind of help required please give him my cell no.and address, we are
always here.
Thanx,
Regards,
Dr. Kadus Arvind,Pune.
On Aug 28, 8:16 am, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you sir !! this was a googly for me and got bowled out . In Bengal
> never seen a Solanum melongena plant so big thanks again for bringing it to
> my knowledge.
> Tanay
>

> On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes Tanay
> > It is Solanum melongena. The species I think shows a lot of variation. The
> > fruits are characteristic. Last week I collected what I thought some unique
> > species of Solanum, but in ultimate analysis it turned out to be S.
> > melongena only, although there was no trace of any prickles. I am uploading
> > the same.
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 1:50 AM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> this some kind of baigan, but never seen it before
> >> tanay

> >>  --
> >> Tanay Bose
> >> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant
> >> Department of Botany
> >> University of British Columbia
> >> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> >> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> >> Phone: 778-323-4036
>
> --
> Tanay Bose
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant
> Department of Botany
> University of British Columbia
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036- Hide quoted text -

Yazdy Palia

28 Aug 2010, 2:36:09 pm28/08/10
to Dr. Arvind Kadus, efloraofindia, sing...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com
Dear Friends,
Some time back I was talking to a friend in Wayanad, he was telling me
that he had in the past grafted a brinjal bud onto a tree that was of
solanum species (is it). He claimed that he used to reap around 200
kgs of brinjals from it. I have not seen the tree though. Is such a
thing possible. Is there any solanum that grows that tall?
regards
yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

28 Aug 2010, 10:55:13 pm28/08/10
to Yazdy Palia, Dr. Arvind Kadus, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com
Solanum giganteum often grows tall and looks tree-like. S. torvum, also grows tall and may be like a small tree.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Yazdy Palia

29 Aug 2010, 12:06:07 am29/08/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dr. Arvind Kadus, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com
Thank You Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji,
I had succeeded in producing tomatoes on a solanum torvum. Now let me
try it on S. Giganteum.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.