Re: [indiantreepix:21975] Re: identify tree

Mahendra Prasad

Nov 8, 2009, 12:48:11 AM11/8/09
to Dinesh Valke, Suvarna Sarpotdar, indian...@googlegroups.com
I doubt it is Moringa oleifera, the Drumstick tree, Dinesh.  The Tree in the picture has largish leaves and appears to be taller than average Drumstick trees, which have smaller leaves. Drum sticks trees have long slender stems/branches. The tree in the pix has large, light coloured branches. It is flowering, appearing to be similar to Drumstick flowers. A closeup of leaf and flower  may have helped more.
I attach 2 cropped parts of the 2 pix for ref.
Drumsticks are commonly grown in Kolkata and S Bengal, particularly Midnapore dist.  I have been told it is very easy to plant it. In the rainy season a long ( even 1 - 1.5 m ) and thick ( 3 cm old wood ) stem/branch may be simply planted in the ground, after trimming the leaves and branches. It should start sprouting new leaves within 1 month.

Nov 8, 2009, 12:52:28 AM11/8/09
to Mahendra Prasad, Suvarna Sarpotdar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Mahendra ji you are correct, ... Moringa oleifera is out of context here.
Regards.

Suvarna Sarpotdar

Nov 10, 2009, 3:02:07 AM11/10/09
to Dinesh Valke, Mahendra Prasad, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke, Sudarshan Iyer, Vijayasankar Raman
Sirs,
 I am hereby sending another close up.Its flowers have just shed. I hope it helps now.
Regards
Suvarna

Suvarna Sarpotdar

Nov 10, 2009, 3:05:34 AM11/10/09
to Dinesh Valke, Mahendra Prasad, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke, Vijayasankar Raman
Another close up.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 10, 2009, 5:04:34 AM11/10/09
to Suvarna Sarpotdar, Dinesh Valke, Mahendra Prasad, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke, Vijayasankar Raman
Now it appears to be Crateva adansonii ssp. odora

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Suvarna Sarpotdar