Ground orchid

1 view

satish phadke

Feb 18, 2008, 9:20:04 AM2/18/08
to indiantreepix, wildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Zeuxine strateematica
This small sized ground orchid(Flower size 5mm) was spotted in P.L.Deshpande garden on Sinhagad Road last week.
Dr. Satish Phadke
Zeuxine strateumatica.jpg

J.M. Garg

Feb 18, 2008, 10:25:23 PM2/18/08
to satish phadke, indiantreepix
Lovely picture, Satish ji.
Here is a good link for this Orchid also called Soldier's Orchid: http://www.killerplants.com/plant-of-the-week/20030310.asp

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Lanscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

satish phadke

Feb 19, 2008, 10:03:14 AM2/19/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Thanks Gargji
Excellent description and apt also to the one seen here...........................
Soldier's orchid is a 'here-now, gone-tomorrow' orchid. It emerges in winter, blooming in late December and January; within a few weeks, the plants vanish. The following year, they may return; then again, they may not.
Mr. Srikant Ingalhalikar's article and photograph about this ground orchid had appeared in the local newspaper (SAKAL) last week aound 13 feb 2008 about spotting it in a local municipal garden lawns(named in my earlier mail)in Pune.
He says in the article:that it was being spotted elsewhere near the banks of Pashan Lake (close to Pune Maharashtra) earlier in the same season.According to him the soil used for cultivating the lawns in the garden which was brought from nearby village area(called Poyta mitti)might have contained its tubers which have flourished in appropriate season.
This description matches exactly as describe din the link given by you.
It really requires great eyes to spot such small species.
.....Nature is interesting !!!
Anybody from Pune or even from anywhere who might spot it near moist banks of lakes within a week or so please report it.
I think I have clarified the place and timing
Thanks

--
Dr. Satish Phadke