Wild shrub for ID

Skip to the first unread message

Shantanu Bhattacharya

10 Sept 2010, 11:04:53 am10/09/10
to efloraofindia
Hi
took snaps of this weed with small yellow flowers...growing beside a road in my locality. (Kolkata).
regards
Shantanu  :)

Shantanu Bhattacharya.
B.Sc, M.Sc (Zoology)
University of Calcutta.
Teaching Faculty.
Dept. of Biology.
Vivekananda Mission School(ICSE).
Joka. Kolkata.

100_1032.jpg
100_1033.jpg
100_1034.jpg

Vijayasankar

10 Sept 2010, 11:18:21 am10/09/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Malachra capitata of Malvaceae.

With regards

Vijayasankar

Shantanu

10 Sept 2010, 12:14:22 pm10/09/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks for the ID Vijayashankar ji...
i have noticed that the leaves of this species are folded upwards in a
peculiar manner at night.
regards
Shantanu :)
>  100_1032.jpg
> 128KViewDownload
>
>  100_1033.jpg
> 124KViewDownload
>
>  100_1034.jpg
> 161KViewDownload

Dinesh Valke

10 Sept 2010, 2:49:25 pm10/09/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
... a native of tropical south America; naturalized elsewhere ... commonly known as: Brazil jute, malachra, yellow leafbract • Bengali: বন ভিংডী ban bhindi • Gujarati: પરદેસી ભિંડૉ pardesi bhindo • Hindi: वन भिंडी van bhindi, विलायती भिंडी vilayati bhindi • Marathi: भूर भेंडी bur bhendi, परदेशी भेंडी pardeshi bhendi,  रान भेंडी raan bhendi,  विलायती भेंडी vilayati bhendi

Regards.

Shantanu

11 Sept 2010, 1:40:55 am11/09/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot for the informations on Malachra capitata... Dinesh ji...
i thought that its a native of India.
Its surprising that so many South American exotics have invaded our
country...
and spreading fast

regards
Shantanu : )

Shantanu Bhattacharya.
B.Sc, M.Sc (Zoology)
University of Calcutta.
Teaching Faculty.
Dept. of Biology.
Vivekananda Mission School(ICSE).
Joka. Kolkata.

> > > 161KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Satish Phadke

11 Sept 2010, 9:06:01 am11/09/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Hi Shantanu ji
I think you have captured the pictures in afternoon or later during the day.
Today afternoon I saw same species in Pune in the afternoon with closed flowers. The open flowers unmistakably show the characteristic Malvaceae morphology. Attaching one picture from my collection last year.
Dr Phadke
Sida capitata Malachra CapitataDSCN2803s.jpg