Flora of Chakrata: Oxalis dehradunensis from Mussoorie Chakrata Motor Marg

Skip to the first unread message

Balkar Arya

25 Sept 2011, 2:41:42 am25/09/11
to indiantreepix
Dear All
Oxalis dehradunensis from Mussoorie Chakrata Motor Marg
Sorry for poor picture Quality. These pics were shot by my old Nikon coolpix L15 Hotshot digital Camera

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
Oxalis dehradunensis (1).JPG
Oxalis dehradunensis (2).JPG
Oxalis dehradunensis (3).JPG
Oxalis dehradunensis (4).JPG
Oxalis dehradunensis (5).JPG

Balkar Arya

25 Sept 2011, 3:18:07 am25/09/11
to indiantreepix
A few more good pics of same plant same area
Oxalis dehradunensis (1).JPG
Oxalis dehradunensis (2).JPG
Oxalis dehradunensis (3).JPG

Gurcharan Singh

25 Sept 2011, 9:18:10 am25/09/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Thanks Balkar ji
When did you manage the flowers.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

25 Sept 2011, 10:23:43 am25/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Sir these are from my last years visit to Chakrata

Gurcharan Singh

29 Sept 2011, 8:34:08 am29/09/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
While processing my photographs I discovered that this may not be Oxalis dehradunensis which has much larger light green spotted leaves and pinkish flowers, a plant uploaded by Satish Phadke ji:

This plant of yours may be Oxalis latifolia

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

29 Sept 2011, 8:36:24 am29/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Thanks Sir for digging out the correct identification

Satish Phadke

29 Sept 2011, 9:00:54 am29/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Thanks for the information. I always wondered about the differences between the two. I always thought the colour spots as just a variation

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dr Satish Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

29 Sept 2011, 10:02:44 am29/09/11
to Satish Phadke, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Balkar ji and Satish ji

I think we did find Oxalis dehradunensis in Chakrata near our rest house. It was not in flowering. It did not have dots as in Satish ji's plant, but the larger, flat light coloured leaflets were distinctive. I am uploading the same.

Now for a shock. The Plant list considers this as unresolved name. I thought of doing some research. According to IPNI record Raizada did not describe it as new species, he published it as new name in

Duthie's Fl. Upper Gangetic Plain, etc. v, 37 (1976), nom. nov.

and the replaced name in the record is shown as Oxalis intermedia A. Rich (can some one locate the original book to find why he rejected O. intermedia A. Rich?). According to The Plant List O. intermedia A. Rich is a synonym of Oxalis latifolia.

So both Balkar ji's conclusion and mine don't seem to differ much, if finally O. dehradunensis turns out to be a synonym of O. latifolia.

Perhaps going through the description in Herbaceous Flora of Dehradun, and perhaps Flora of Indian Desert (where I think I saw this species described) or any recent Flora should help.

Oxalis-dehradunensis-Chakrata-1.jpg
Oxalis-dehradunensis-Chakrata-2.jpg
Oxalis-dehradunensis-Chakrata-3.jpg

Balkar Arya

29 Sept 2011, 10:50:11 am29/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Yes Sir
I have that Supplement vol by Raizada
will upload two pages in minuts

Balkar Arya

29 Sept 2011, 10:54:56 am29/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
here are pages
IMG_1401.JPG
IMG_1403.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

29 Sept 2011, 12:25:33 pm29/09/11
to Balkar Arya, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
I have seen the paper now. So Oxalis intermedia A. Rich is surely the basis of O. dehradunensis and obviously both are synonyms of O. latifolia as per The Plant List. So both our planjts belong to same species.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

29 Sept 2011, 12:36:13 pm29/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Thanks Sir for solving the matter

Gurcharan Singh

6 Mar 2021, 9:12:46 pm06/03/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding again for ID confirmation
As O. dehradunensis and O. latifolia are now treated as distinct species
1. Oxalis latifolia H.B.K: longer stamen filaments 5-6 mm long, hairy in upper part with 1 mm long appendages on outside; shorter filaments glabrous or sparsely hairy; leaves larger upto 5 cm long, upto 8 cm wide; flowers light purple with green throat; umbela 5-20 flowered
1. Oxalis dehradunensis: (syn: O. latifolia auct. plur. (non H.B.K.), O. intermedia A. Rich.): Longer filaments 4 mm long, pubescent, without appendages, short ones hairy; leaves smaller 1.5 cm long, 3 cm wide; flowers purple violet; flowers 5-6 flowered.
Accordingly this plant should be  Oxalis dehradunensis
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Gurcharan Singh

7 Mar 2021, 4:04:11 am07/03/21
to efloraofindia, Balkar Singh
Since two species are now treated as distinct we need to know the original description of O. dehradunensis to know exact differences between the two besides the differences in stamen filaments mentioned by me. Other characters mentioned by me seem to vary. I must be mentioned that Raizada (1976) did not describe a new species, and rather gave a new name to O. intermedia A. Rich., 1841 described from Cuba, a name that could not stand because it was given earlier by Steudel (1840; based on Biophytum intermedium Wight, 1839) to a different species (now synonym of Biophytum intermedium Wight). This is what I could find from eFlora of North America where both species (O. intermedia A Rich and O. latifolia) are described:
O. dehradunensis (syn: O. intermedia A Rich.)                    O. latifolia
1. Bulbs usually clustered, stolons present                          1. Bulb solitary, stolons absent
2. Leaflet lobes truncate at apex                                          2. leaflet lobes rounded at apex
3. Flowers tristylous                                                             3. Flowers semihomostylus
4.  longer stamen filaments 5-6 mm long, hairy in upper     4. Longer filaments 4 mm long, pubescent, without
     part with 1 mm long appendages on outside; shorter         appendages, short ones hairy; leaves smaller
     filaments glabrous
5. Capsule ellipsoid, 3-8 mm.                                                5. Capsule cylindric 4-6 mm

According to these criteria, only my upload from Kashmir seems to belong to O. latifolia

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

10 Mar 2021, 3:16:40 am10/03/21
to efloraofindia, Balkar Singh
Thanks, Singh ji,
I think the correct wording will be as below:
O. dehradunensis (syn: O. intermedia A Rich.)                    O. latifolia
1. Bulbs usually clustered, stolons present                          1. Bulb solitary, stolons absent
2. Leaflet lobes truncate at apex                                          2. leaflet lobes rounded at apex
3. Flowers tristylous                                                             3. Flowers semihomostylus
4.  Longer filaments 4 mm long, pubescent, without
    appendages, short ones hairy; leaves smaller                4.  longer stamen filaments 5-6 mm long, hairy in upper part with 1 mm long
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/CAHiXKpVz2xe95GjwrVMT%2Bnk%2BzPRiYY0W2pqB5q3XUCXmRVSSPQ%40mail.gmail.com.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg