Grass-1: Pommereulla cornucopiae

Skip to the first unread message

Vijayasankar

7 Dec 2010, 3:22:44 pm07/12/10
to indiatreepix
Dear all,

In next few mails, i will be sharing some of the grasses collected from Tiruvannamalai district, Tamil Nadu. These are scanned herbarium specimens [interest to take pictures of grassess came to me very recently only, sorry for that :(  ]
housed at the herbarium of FRLHT, Bangalore (acronym FRLH). Most of these were identified by my supervisors Dr. P. Ravichandran, and Dr. K. Ravikumar.

This one, Pommereulla cornucopiae, is said to be one of the rare species, recorded only from S.India and Sri Lanka.
Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

pommereulla cornucopiae-1.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

7 Dec 2010, 3:27:35 pm07/12/10
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Vijayasankar ji
Thanks for sharing this rare grass,

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

7 Dec 2010, 3:35:54 pm07/12/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Thanks for sharing
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

7 Dec 2010, 4:29:42 pm07/12/10
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Pommereulla cornucopiae L.f. Nov. Gram. 31. 1779.

Type: Lectotype - LINN 74.1 Pommereulla cornucopiae (Herb Linn)

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

TYPE Pommereulla cornucopiae.jpg
ICON PLANTS OF COROMANDEL.jpg

Vijayasankar

Pankaj Kumar

7 Dec 2010, 4:48:44 pm07/12/10
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Thanks a lot Vijay,
You know what thrills me more is the fact that you are showing me a
plant which was painted by someone in 18th century and collected by
some one in 17th century.... This taxonomy really feels so exciting to
me!!!

I am one of those lucky ones who has seen the original paintings in
Hortus Malabaricus and Plants of Coromandel. Those gold plated sides
of the book, and holding those books in hand is such a divine feeling,
I cant explain in words.
Regards
Pankaj

Vijayasankar

7 Dec 2010, 4:59:28 pm07/12/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indiatreepix
True, you know the value of these precious works of early scholars.
And yes, the feeling can not be explained in words, it has to be felt.