Any Tridax species? Id180608JM2

J.M. Garg

Jun 19, 2008, 11:09:53 AM6/19/08
to indiantreepix
On 15/06/08 at Vanasthalipuram Deer Park, Hyderabad. Butterflies like Crimson Tip, Little Orange Tip, Plains Cupid were very found of it.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jun 19, 2008, 11:57:24 AM6/19/08
to indiantreepix
Forwarding Satyendra ji's reply pl.

Jun 20, 2008, 5:45:20 AM6/20/08
to indiantreepix

Dear all
It looks like *Tridax procumbence* ,an Asteraceae member

With regards

SNEHA.

COF

KERALA

J.M. Garg

Jun 20, 2008, 9:23:17 PM6/20/08
to sneha, indiantreepix
Thanks, Satyendra ji, Sneha ji, Sony ji.

Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tridax_procumbens

Tridax procumbens is a species of flowering plant in the daisy family. Its common names include coat buttons and tridax daisy in English, cadillo chisaca in Spanish, herbe caille in French, Jayanti veda in Sanskrit, ghamra in Hindi, Dagadi pala in Marathi, Thata poodu in Tamil[1], and kotobukigiku in Japanese. It is best known as a widespread weed and pest plant. It is native to the tropical Americas but it has been introduced to tropical, subtropical, and mild temperate regions worldwide. The plant bears daisylike yellow-centered white or yellow flowers with three-toothed ray florets. The leaves are toothed and generally arrowhead-shaped. Its fruit is a hard achene covered with stiff hairs and having a feathery, plumelike white pappus at one end. The plant is invasive in part because it produces so many of these achenes, up to 1500 per plant, and each achene can catch the wind in its pappus and be carried some distance. This weed can be found in fields, meadows, croplands, disturbed areas, lawns, and roadsides in areas with tropical or semi-tropical climates.

Kiran Srivastava

Jun 21, 2008, 12:19:47 AM6/21/08
to indiantreepix

I too did notice quite a number of butterfly photographs posted by several enthusiasts with the common flower, Coat Buttons, Tridax procumbens.

Cheers,

Kiran Srivastava

Mumbai

kir...@vsnl.net