Geiger Tree (Cordia sebestena)

J.M. Garg

Jun 24, 2008, 10:10:00 AM6/24/08
to indiantreepix
On 8/1/06 at NTR Park in Hyderabad, AP.
Here are a few links for details:
http://www.tropilab.com/cordia-seb.html
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"
For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg
Geiger Tree (Cordia sebestena) flowers & leaves in Hyderabad, AP I 260.jpg
Geiger Tree (Cordia sebestena) fruits in Hyderabad, AP I 270.jpg
Geiger Tree (Cordia sebestena) tree in Hyderabad, AP I 264.jpg
Geiger Tree (Cordia sebestena) leaves in Hyderabad, AP I 269.jpg

Barry Stock

Jun 24, 2008, 10:33:39 AM6/24/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Those flowers are remarkably colorful. The specimens in our vicinity tend towards a more pale orange.

-bs

<Geiger Tree (Cordia sebestena) flowers & leaves in Hyderabad, AP I 260.jpg><Geiger Tree (Cordia sebestena) fruits in Hyderabad, AP I 270.jpg><Geiger Tree (Cordia sebestena) tree in Hyderabad, AP I 264.jpg><Geiger Tree (Cordia sebestena)  leaves in Hyderabad, AP I 269.jpg>

Kenneth Greby

Jun 24, 2008, 10:37:17 AM6/24/08
to indiantreepix, J.M. Garg
 Nice pictures. Here in South Florida (USA) the tree grows well, and is native to the nearby West Indies. Unfortunately, the Geiger beetle (Eurypepla colochroma) makes a shaggy mess out of the foliage of most local trees.

Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA

satish phadke

Jun 25, 2008, 11:11:28 AM6/25/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
A member of Boraginaceae family.
Beautiful scarlet red flowers.
This tree has flowers almost throughout the year.That is why it is a very popular ornamental tree in households in Pune.
Even it doesn't grow to big heights and the flowers are visible at eye level.
I have never seen any infestation on this tree may be because the Geiger beetle is not native to our country.
For details of the family refer to the family of the week Boraginaceae
Satish
--
SATISFIED http://satishphadke.blogspot.com/
Scarlet cordea 1.jpg

vijay kiyawat

Jun 26, 2008, 7:02:16 AM6/26/08
to satish phadke, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
and the hairy leaves of the tree block the dust from coming into the house i learnt from one of the books.
-vijay kiyawat