Is this also Maerua oblongifolia

cec delhi

Feb 1, 2008, 3:44:04 AM2/1/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Please someone clarify.
Is this also Maerua oblongifolia?
I got this from Asola Bhatti WLS in Delhi.

Sajeev

Climber.jpg

satish phadke

Feb 1, 2008, 9:14:49 AM2/1/08
to cec delhi, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes definitely this one looks like Maerua oblongifolia............Just look at at its oblong leaves.Secondly it doesn't have thorns as against many other capparidaceae members like C.zeylenica etc.Regarding the type of plant its drooping branches make you think it as climber but it is a shrub as per information gathered.
Capparidaceae is my favorite family having beautiful flowers with many large stamens and clean bright colour.These are also larval hosts to many butterflies.
Attached picture shows eggs of Pioneer butterfly on the bud of this same plant shot two days back on Vetal Tekdi Pune (mah).If you are a keen observer try to look for butterfly eggs on its leaves.....................................................Isn't it interesting?
--
Dr. Satish Phadke
DSCN0237a.jpg