Please mention place of photography in the mail while uploading

Skip to the first unread message

Gurcharan Singh

14 Oct 2011, 2:32:21 am14/10/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends
Since we are coming across plants from different parts of India and some even from outside, it is advisable that mails containing identified or plants meant for identification should have the place of photography in the subject line. For members sharing photographs of their identified plants, any additional information shared by the author (author citations, synonyms, local names, description or any other useful information) is a bonus. Let us not ask the person to provide additional information. If a person is sharing identified plants it is understood that he has checked with reliable sources. If any of us has any doubt, let us do our homework and spell out our doubts, and not insist upon the author to provide us this or that information. Frankly it can be irritating for a person who is sharing his valuable information with you. We should feel lucky to get it as a bonus.

  As far as the plants meant for identification is concerned, the person uploading the photographs should provide a unique subject line consisting of unique code ddmmyyyy+your initials+your post number for the day. Supposing I upload my third plant for ID today from Delhi, the subject line would be "14102011GS3 a plant (or herb/shrub/tree/garden plant, etc) for ID from Delhi". This will ensure that threads don't get mixed up. The person should provide as much information as possible as per the prescribed format, but these things are essential: place, altitude if known, habitat (wild/cultivated/weed of fields/roadside/aquatic/wasteland), habit (herb/shrub/tree/climber), approximate size/height, size of leaves, diameter of flower and inflorescence, length of flower and inflorescence, colour of flower, fruit size.

Besides the Plant for identification should have at least three photographs for better identification: a photograph of twig so that leaves (especially position and type), flower/inflorescence are visible, a close up of side of flower from side so that bract (if present), pedicel (if present), calyx and corolla are visible, and a close up from top to see diameter, petals, stamens and carpels.  A fruit photograph additionally should help a lot.

   As we have seen recently, the most convenient way to keep a record of the size (flower, leaf, fruit, etc) is to keep it on your fingers and photograph. This will help a lot in future to compile information about sizes.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Aarti S. Khale

14 Oct 2011, 5:02:55 am14/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, tanay bose
Gurcharan ji,
Thanks for all the guidelines.
Do you know why you are so special and you get so much of respect?
Because although you have a lot of knowledge, you share it with others
and are never rude.You treat all of us as your equals....even a new
member.
As members, we enjoy interacting with other members in our spare
time.I'm sure each one has his own occupation outside eflora.
Sometimes when you are travelling with your family and are time
bound....have to reach a place at a given time, you cannot have your
own agenda of flowers,thus making it difficult to add all the features
in the pictures taken.
I hope others will agree...some may not.
Regards,
Aarti

Gurcharan Singh

14 Oct 2011, 7:47:27 am14/10/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, tanay bose
Thanks Aarti ji
Yes it is true. you may not get time to record things, but a few you can always remember and write. Place, habitat are must for any identification. Perhaps there may not been a busier schedule than our Chakrata trip, when we had no time to record details and took more than 5000 photographs in four days. If you just keep one twig on your hand and take its photograph, you can extract a lot of information from this photograph when you are processing it for sending it for identification. You may not send this particular photograph but can extract information like insertion of leaves (number of leaves at each point), size of leaf, size of flower and inflorescence and fruit. I hope all those who want experts to spend their time on identification, owe to spend this much time before sending photographs.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ushadi micromini

17 Oct 2011, 5:47:18 am17/10/11
to efloraofindia
Gurucharanji:

U write: " I hope all those who want experts to spend their
time on identification, owe to spend this much time before sending
photographs. "

I agree... totally...

Aarti ji: Its no use saying I am on vacation ..so can not take good
pictures...

I think we had this conversation a few days ago... esp with
AArtiji... about her pics... and travelling companions etc

Usha di
===

On Oct 14, 4:47 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Aarti ji
> Yes it is true. you may not get time to record things, but a few you can
> always remember and write. Place, habitat are must for any identification.
> Perhaps there may not been a busier schedule than our Chakrata trip, when we
> had no time to record details and took more than 5000 photographs in four
> days. If you just keep one twig on your hand and take its photograph, you
> can extract a lot of information from this photograph when you are
> processing it for sending it for identification. You may not send this
> particular photograph but can extract information like insertion of leaves
> (number of leaves at each point), size of leaf, size of flower and
> inflorescence and fruit. I hope all those who want experts to spend their
> time on identification, owe to spend this much time before sending
> photographs.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

Yazdy Palia

17 Oct 2011, 1:28:29 pm17/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji,
I agree with you. Though a novice, I think I understand you. thank you.
Regards
Yazdy.