Flora of Manipur: Pratia

Skip to the first unread message

Vijayasankar

10 Sept 2010, 12:14:29 am10/09/10
to indiatreepix
Pratia nummularia, a good-looking prostrate herb, from Manipur.

With regards

Vijayasankar
pratia nummularia_1.JPG
pratia nummularia_2.JPG

tanay bose

10 Sept 2010, 12:44:34 am10/09/10
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Lovely catch of the Campanulaceae member
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Ritesh Choudhary

10 Sept 2010, 12:52:32 am10/09/10
to efloraofindia
Ethnic people of Upper Siang district of Arunachal Pradesh take the
root extract to dissolve Kidney stones.

Regards,
Ritesh.

On Sep 10, 1:44 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lovely catch of the Campanulaceae member
> Tanay
>
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > *Pratia nummularia*, a good-looking prostrate herb, from Manipur.
>
> > With regards
>
> > Vijayasankar
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*

Vijayasankar

10 Sept 2010, 1:00:21 am10/09/10
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thanks Ritesh ji, for the useful info.

I wanted know if the fruits are edible. It was tempting to see them in the field.

With regards

Vijayasankar

Pankaj Oudhia

10 Sept 2010, 2:13:50 am10/09/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Ritesh ji for information. But it is mere a tip of iceberg. Over 50 herbs are added with root extract in different combinations in order to make the extract more useful and strong. There are specific criteria for selection of these herbs including the root of main ingredient. In other parts of India the Healers practice Traditonal Allelopathic Knowledge to enrich it with medicinal properties before use. The use of root extract is not a general recommnedation. For example, person allergic to Gud (Jaggery) is suggested to avoid this root extract. It acts miraculously in patients with much flesh. The long term use of this root extract results in many harmful effects. It is another long story.

Thanks Vijayashankar ji for nice picture and also for opening a part of my in-built hard disc.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Ritesh Choudhary

10 Sept 2010, 2:24:09 am10/09/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji for the valuable information. While working on the
Flora of Upper Siang district, I observed the local people using the
extracts without combining any other herb. They might not aware of the
combinations which can help them more. Hope some day persons like you
will provide this information to them.

Thanks again.
Ritesh.

On Sep 10, 3:13 pm, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ritesh ji for information. But it is mere a tip of iceberg. Over 50
> herbs are added with root extract in different combinations in order to make
> the extract more useful and strong. There are specific criteria for
> selection of these herbs including the root of main ingredient. In other
> parts of India the Healers practice Traditonal Allelopathic Knowledge to
> enrich it with medicinal properties before use. The use of root extract is
> not a general recommnedation. For example, person allergic to Gud (Jaggery)
> is suggested to avoid this root extract. It acts miraculously in patients
> with much flesh. The long term use of this root extract results in many
> harmful effects. It is another long story.
>
> Thanks Vijayashankar ji for nice picture and also for opening a part of my
> in-built hard disc.
>
> regards
>
> Pankaj Oudhia
>
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Ritesh Choudhary <ritesh....@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Ethnic people of Upper Siang district of Arunachal Pradesh take the
> > root extract to dissolve Kidney stones.
>
> > Regards,
> > Ritesh.
>
> > On Sep 10, 1:44 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Lovely catch of the Campanulaceae member
> > > Tanay

> > > --
> > > *Tanay Bose*
> > > Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> > > Department of Botany.
> > > University of British Columbia .
> > > 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> > > Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> > > Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
> > >             604-822-2019 (Lab)
> > > ta...@interchange.ubc.ca- Hide quoted text -

Ritesh Choudhary

10 Sept 2010, 2:25:25 am10/09/10
to efloraofindia
Yes Vijayji,

The fruits are edible and ripened ones are sweet in taste.

Regards,
Ritesh.

On Sep 10, 2:00 pm, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ritesh ji, for the useful info.
>
> I wanted know if the fruits are edible. It was tempting to see them in the
> field.
>
> With regards
>
> Vijayasankar
>
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Ritesh Choudhary <ritesh....@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Ethnic people of Upper Siang district of Arunachal Pradesh take the
> > root extract to dissolve Kidney stones.
>
> > Regards,
> > Ritesh.
>
> > On Sep 10, 1:44 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Lovely catch of the Campanulaceae member
> > > Tanay

> > > --
> > > *Tanay Bose*
> > > Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> > > Department of Botany.
> > > University of British Columbia .
> > > 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> > > Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> > > Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
> > >             604-822-2019 (Lab)

Vijayasankar

10 Sept 2010, 2:27:49 am10/09/10
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji & Ritesh ji for the valuable info on usage of this plant.

With regards

Vijayasankar

Pankaj Oudhia

10 Sept 2010, 2:41:23 am10/09/10
to efloraofindia
May be but such information comes out after continuous visits to the same place up to many years, many times throughout life, as one of my Gurus say. In India we adopt random sampling method and select innovative respondents for questionnaire,  but most of the time Laggards (I am using standard terms of Agricultural extension) own much knowledge. We generally have no fund or time to interact with the Laggards due to time bound project. As result our survey results in superficial knowledge and it is matter of great surprise that our reputed Ethonbotany journals publish it as important publication. When some one use it practically lots of questions emerge and then no one have answers.

For example we know Methi is used for Diabetes but very few know the best method of its utilization, Methi is not suitable for everyone, Its harmful effects can be minimise by taking it with other herbs, Methi can be grown organically by using over 50 methods. The prodcure from every method results in Methi of different medicinal properties. It is Traditional Agricultural Knowledge but no one is practcing it.

Today Methi is raised by using agrochemicals seeing its ever increasing demand and common people take it with faith. Now the time has come to Revitalize the Tradtional practices. This Reviatlization is important "R' of FRLHT from which Vijayashankar ji belongs. Am I right Vijaya ji?

Thanks again for sharing your comments.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Vijayasankar

10 Sept 2010, 3:11:34 am10/09/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Absolutely right, Pankaj ji.

I strongly hope 'revitalisation' of traditional practices will be back to stage as the entire world has started realizing and recognizing the importance of traditional knowledge of healthcare.

With regards

Vijayasankar