ID requested DSC4123

Rakesh

Jan 28, 2011, 3:01:37 AM1/28/11
to Indiantreepix
These plants seen in abundance in open area near Asansol (W.B.).
Pic. taken on 26/01/11.

Rakesh
_DSC4123.JPG

prasad dash

Jan 28, 2011, 4:24:38 AM1/28/11
to Rakesh, Indiantreepix
Looks like member of papaveraceae

Prasad
--
Prasad Kumar Dash
Ecologist, Orissa, India

Nidhan Singh

Jan 28, 2011, 5:41:48 AM1/28/11
to prasad dash, Rakesh, Indiantreepix
Hi,
Much of features of this plant resemble with Solanum xanthocarpum
except for the petal colour, I am waiting for further inputs.
Regards,

--
Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 28, 2011, 6:14:02 AM1/28/11
to Nidhan Singh, prasad dash, Rakesh, Indiantreepix
Solanum for sure

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 28, 2011, 6:22:38 AM1/28/11
to Nidhan Singh, prasad dash, Rakesh, Indiantreepix
Yes Nidhan ji, you may be right. White flowered forms have been reported in this species according to the eFlora of Pakistan. Bright colour of leaves and long yellow prickles are characteristic for this species. By the way both S. xanthocarpum Schrad. and S. surattense Burm.f. are now treated as synonyms of S. virginianum L., considered as correct name for the species.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Jan 28, 2011, 7:59:17 AM1/28/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, prasad dash, Rakesh, Indiantreepix
Solanum xanthocarpum from Solanaceae
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

JM Garg

Aug 7, 2017, 7:24:06 AM8/7/17
to efloraofindia, Rakesh, Nidhan Singh, GurcharanSingh, vendr...@yahoo.com
Some feedback:
"The image placed under the species Solanum virginianum L. posted by Rakesh in google groups on 28.01.2011 is belonging to Solanum sisymbrifolium Lam.
for your reference I am attaching the same image here.
Dr. Vendrapati Rama Rao
Research Officer (Scientist-2) Botany,
Regional Ayurveda Research Institute for Metabolic Disorders,
Govt. Central Pharmacy Annexe,
Ashoka Pillar, Jayanagar,
Bangalore-560 011,
KARNATAKA, INDIA."