Euphorbiaceae week- Trevia nudiflora L.

Skip to the first unread message

Rashida Atthar

12 Mar 2011, 1:47:29 am12/03/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Trevia nudiflora L.  is a large deciduous tree. Leaves opposite, ovate, acuminate, glabrous and bright green above,  base cordate, 3-5 nerved, petioles 2.5 to 8 cm long, stipules minute, acute, soon falling.

In Dr. Almeida's flora  Vol IV -B pg 354, it is mentioned that Nicholson et al (1988) attribute underground water indicator properties to this species.

The pictures attached are from the Dr. Salim Ali point trail at the south end of the forest in Mumbai which is very much sourrounded by lakes.

We generally spell the generic name of this tree as Trewia but as per Kew Plant List the accepted name is spelled as Trevia and I have followed the same. A short explanation is give about the same in Dr. Almeida's flora Vol IV-B pg 354-  and I quote " The generic name Trewia is commonly used in taxonomic literature. However, the article 13.4 passed at Syndey Congress accepts that generic names first published  in Species Plantarum should be accepted with same spellings as correct names".

The synonyms as per Kew Plant List are as follows:

Trevia integerrima  Stokes
Trevia macrophylla Roth
Trevia macrostachya Klotzsch
Trevia nudiflora var. dentata Susila & N. P. Balakr.
Trevia nudiflora var (Benth) Susila & N. P. Balakr.
Trevia nudiflora var. tomentosa Susila & N.P. Balakr.
Trevia polycarpa Benth.

regards,
Rashida.
Trevia nudiflora L. (2).JPG
Trevia nudiflora L..JPG
Trevia nudiflora foliage.JPG
Trewia nudiflora L. leaves.JPG
Trevia nudiflora L. bark.JPG

Mahadeswara

12 Mar 2011, 10:39:57 am12/03/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks for the beautiful photographs and info.

On Mar 12, 11:47 am, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Trevia nudiflora L.  is a large deciduous tree. Leaves opposite,
> ovate, acuminate, glabrous and bright green above,  base cordate, 3-5
> nerved, petioles 2.5 to 8 cm long, stipules minute, acute, soon falling.
>
> In Dr. Almeida's flora  Vol IV -B pg 354, it is mentioned that Nicholson et
> al (1988) attribute underground water indicator properties to this species.
>
> The pictures attached are from the Dr. Salim Ali point trail at the south
> end of the forest in Mumbai which is very much sourrounded by lakes.
>
> We generally spell the generic name of this tree as* Trewia* but as per Kew
> Plant List the accepted name is spelled as *Trevia *and I have followed the
> same. A short explanation is give about the same in Dr. Almeida's flora Vol
> IV-B pg 354-  and I quote " The generic name *Trewia* is commonly used in
> taxonomic literature. However, the article 13.4 passed at Syndey Congress
> accepts that generic names first published  in Species Plantarum should be
> accepted with same spellings as correct names".
>
> The synonyms as per Kew Plant List are as follows:
>
> Trevia integerrima  Stokes
> Trevia macrophylla Roth
> Trevia macrostachya Klotzsch
> Trevia nudiflora var. dentata Susila & N. P. Balakr.
> Trevia nudiflora var (Benth) Susila & N. P. Balakr.
> Trevia nudiflora var. tomentosa Susila & N.P. Balakr.
> Trevia polycarpa Benth.
>
> regards,
> Rashida.
>
>  Trevia nudiflora L. (2).JPG
> 345KViewDownload
>
>  Trevia nudiflora L..JPG
> 302KViewDownload
>
>  Trevia nudiflora foliage.JPG
> 231KViewDownload
>
>  Trewia nudiflora L. leaves.JPG
> 114KViewDownload
>
>  Trevia nudiflora L. bark.JPG
> 227KViewDownload

Usha Desai

13 Mar 2011, 9:12:11 am13/03/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Hi all
one interesting fact.....
The fruits of Trevia nudiflora are non-succulent,large, and hard and are tasty tit-bits for Rhino's palate.And the seeds are deposited on dung-fertilised mud banks.So all along the river banks frequented by rhinos,trevia trees have consolidated their hold on the the land. The sad part of the tale is that with the rhino tottering on the brink of extinction,so is trevia. Whether the trevia goes the way of the dodo tree or if it is destined to be lucky .....remains to be seen. [reference:Social life of Plants...Sukanya Datta]
Usha

Rashida Atthar

13 Mar 2011, 9:45:57 am13/03/11
to Usha Desai, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Trevia is thriving very well in the forest of Mumbai, especially at the south end where I have seen many young saplings of the tree coming up without the help from  Rhino !

regards,
Rashida.

Muthu Karthick

14 Mar 2011, 12:55:44 am14/03/11
to Rashida Atthar, Usha Desai, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Interesting information Ushaji. Yet, the tree is widespread in India.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,