FAMILY OF THE WEEK : GENTIANACEAE

satish phadke

Jul 26, 2008, 2:18:49 PM7/26/08
to indiantreepix Indian, wildflowerindia
FAMILY OF THE WEEK : GENTIANACEAE

About 80 genera and 700 species worldwide.

Vegetative Characters : Herbs [shrubs or small trees], annual, biennial, or perennial. Stems ascending, erect, or twining. Leaves opposite, less often alternate or whorled, simple, base connate; stipules absent. Inflorescences simple or complex cymes, sometimes reduced to sessile clusters, often in a thyrse or 1-flowered. Flowers bisexual, rarely unisexual, 4 or 5 (or 6-8)[-12]-merous. Calyx tubular, obconic, campanulate, or rotate, lobes joined at least basally. Corolla tubular, obconic, salverform, funnelform, campanulate, or rotate, rarely with basal spurs; lobes overlapping to right or rarely valvate in bud; plicae (extensions of the corolla tube between the lobes) present or absent. Stamens inserted on corolla tube or occasionally at sinus between corolla lobes, alternate with lobes; anthers basifixed or dorsifixed, 2-locular. Nectaries absent or attached to ovary base or corolla. Ovary usually 1-locular at least apically, rarely 2-locular due to intrusion of a lamellate placenta into locular cavity. Fruit a 2-valved capsule, rarely a berry. Seeds many or rarely few, small; endosperm abundant [scant in saprophytic genera].

Pollination by insects.

Examples:

Exacum

Enicostema

Centaurium

Hoppea

Canscora

Swertia

--
SATISFIED http://satishphadke.blogspot.com/

satish phadke

Jul 26, 2008, 2:24:05 PM7/26/08
to indiantreepix Indian, wildflowerindia
I could gather very little information about this family.Most of the examples of this family are found in Himalayan region. Some are also found in Western ghats.The photograph attached in the above mail is most probably from Genus Swertia. I have observed some flowers of Exacum at Kas near Satara but don't have good photographs.I request the members to send their pictures as well as information of the plants of this beautiful family.
Satish

Rajesh Sachdev

Jul 27, 2008, 7:38:36 AM7/27/08
to satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian, wildflowerindia
Satish,
There is no pic attached. Could you attach one
--
Regards
Rajesh Sachdev

satish phadke

Jul 27, 2008, 9:51:50 AM7/27/08
to Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix Indian, wildflowerindia
Swertia plant? species for ID
Satish
Swertia densifolia1.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jul 31, 2008, 11:28:11 PM7/31/08
to satish phadke, Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix Indian
Can it be Swertia decussata? See the link for a picture:http://www.swsbm.com/Images/S/Swertia_radiata-2.jpg

Here are plants from the Indiantreepix Database for this family:
Gentiana carinata GENTIANACEAE from Everest at altitude 4950m- Sarbendra ji- 11/7/07?. Gentians.be - Plant Portraits - Gentiana carinata Alpine flower from Everest at altitude 4950m - indiantreepix | Google Groups
Gentiana carinata ? GENTIANACEAE near Badrinath at a hieght of around 9000 ft. in the month of  June 08  Fwd: [India-nature-pixs] Flowers for ID - indiantreepix | Google Groups
Gentiana ornata GENTIANACEAE from altitude of 4845m in Everest area- Sarbendra ji- 11/7/07?.  Gentian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Alpine flower - indiantreepix | Google Groups http://www.srgc.org.uk/shows/newcastle/report.html
Canscora diffusa (syn. Gentiana diffusa)  Gentianaceae  Kilwar Chilkagarh, Near Jhargram, Dist. Midnapore, West Bengal: 24/12/2007-Debasish ji. Flowering (26/1/08) at Vadap-Karjat near the scrub- Rajesh Sachdev. Canscora diffusa in Flora of China @ efloras.org ID required - indiantreepix | Google Groups PLANT FOR IDENTIFICATION -59 - indiantreepix | Google Groups

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

satish phadke

Aug 1, 2008, 8:58:41 AM8/1/08
to J.M. Garg, Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix Indian
Thanks Gargji for adding the list from Indiantreepix.
I could find a picture of Canscora diffusa shot in Sinhgad valley in Nov 2007 Having beutiful flowers.(Kilwer in Marathi because of the club shaped three petalled flower)
Satish

Canscora diffusa.jpg

satish phadke

Aug 1, 2008, 10:43:00 AM8/1/08
to indiantreepix Indian, wildflowerindia
Regarding the species ID of Swertia...I don't have total field characters of the plant. The picture has been searched from my collection.Even I don't remember where I have shot it..either Kas lake plateau or Mahabaleshwar.
Acc. to Shrikant's book it appears to be Swertia densifolia.
Satish

JM Garg

Jun 4, 2017, 12:10:21 PM6/4/17
to efloraofindia, Satish Phadke
Swertia minor (Griseb.) Knobl. as per images herein.