Jungle Jalebi- Pithecellobium dulce

J.M. Garg

Jul 16, 2007, 4:49:28 AM7/16/07
to indiantreepix
Pictures taken mainly at Central Park, Kolkata in Feb.'07 except that of Fruit at Bhuveneshwar in May'06. I have tasted its fruit when ripe & it's really delicious. Birds make merry on the tree when its fruit is ripe. It has short paired spines arising from leaf bases with twice-pinnate small leaves. It is a large deciduous tree & quite commonly seen in Kolkata in some of the Parks & alongside the roads.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For learning about our trees & plants, please visit http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
Leaves I IMG_2854.jpg
Trunk I IMG_2860.jpg
Tree I IMG_2896.jpg
Leaves & flowers I IMG_2850.jpg
Fruit Im IMG_2705.jpg

DEBASISH JOARDAR

Jul 16, 2007, 10:34:50 AM7/16/07
to indiantreepix
Dear Mr. Garg,

Nice presentation.

One of my friends from Chennai told me that the fruits are very sweet
and popular among the children of that loacality (though, I have not
tasted yet) .

What kind of birds are attracted by the fruits?

Thanks,

Debasish Joardar.

> Leaves I IMG_2854.jpg
> 123KViewDownload
>
> Trunk I IMG_2860.jpg
> 199KViewDownload
>
> Tree I IMG_2896.jpg
> 200KViewDownload
>
> Leaves & flowers I IMG_2850.jpg
> 179KViewDownload
>
> Fruit Im IMG_2705.jpg
> 180KViewDownload

J.M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Jul 17, 2007, 5:20:27 AM7/17/07
to indiantreepix
Forwarded as it contains more information about this tree. Thanks, Sunetro for the link, particularly the 2nd one.

nitu

Jul 17, 2007, 10:36:51 AM7/17/07
to indian...@googlegroups.com
here is a pic of the fruit both raw and ripe-it turns red when ripe

On 7/17/07, sachin pandhare <pandhar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> very sweet if its ripe and turns pink in colour:-)
>

> On 7/16/07, DEBASISH JOARDAR <djoard...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> >

> > Dear Mr. Garg,
> >
> > Nice presentation.
> >
> > One of my friends from Chennai told me that the fruits are very sweet
> > and popular among the children of that loacality (though, I have not
> > tasted yet) .
> >
> > What kind of birds are attracted by the fruits?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Debasish Joardar.

jungle-jalebi.jpg

Dr Satish Phadke

Jul 17, 2007, 10:39:14 AM7/17/07
to indiantreepix
Vilayati chinch in Marathi(Translates to Foreign Tamarind)
Satish