Like Squirrel Tail

Pudji Widodo

Apr 21, 2011, 4:27:49 AM4/21/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Friends,

Could you help me ID the following plant please.

A shrub, ca 1 m tall. Leaves opposite, oblong. Inflorescence like
squirrel tail, whitish. Seeds black. At low altitude (0-60 m asl).

Thank you

Pudji Widodo

DSC00398a.jpg

Vijayasankar

Apr 21, 2011, 10:28:40 AM4/21/11
to Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Looks like Uraria crinita, to me.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

J.M. Garg

Aug 10, 2011, 1:43:38 AM8/10/11
to efloraofindia, rites...@gmail.com, sumathi.r...@gmail.com, kkart...@yahoo.com, pud...@yahoo.com, Rasingam L., Vijayasankar Raman

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Looks like Uraria crinita, to me.
Regards
Vijayasankar Raman”

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members & 75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

DSC00398a.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 18, 2011, 1:16:13 AM10/18/11
to efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo, Vijayasankar Raman, Mahadeswara

Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Oct 18, 2011, 2:19:43 AM10/18/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo, Vijayasankar Raman, Mahadeswara
I guess Uraria alopecuroides

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 18, 2011, 2:45:11 AM10/18/11
to H S, efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo, Vijayasankar Raman, Mahadeswara
Urararia alopecuroides was earlier under U. lapopus DC. (FBI 2: 156), now considered as synonym of

 Uraria lagopodoides (L.) DC

Yes this could be possible as most leaves are simple (rather unifoliate)

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Oct 18, 2011, 3:05:33 AM10/18/11
to Gurcharan Singh, H S, efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo, Vijayasankar Raman, Mahadeswara
What is the rationale behind changing the names of plants without any rhyme or reason. This is such irritant for a layman like me. You fix a name in your mnd, and suddenly somebody informs yu that the new name is noot XYZ but XYZ1. Is this the way to maintain the superiority of the subject expert?
AK
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

H S

Oct 18, 2011, 3:35:43 AM10/18/11
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo, Vijayasankar Raman, Mahadeswara
Hello AK ji, 100% agree with you, not only laymen. even plant experts find it difficult to keep them upto date, what i learned in B.Sc. during field trips, In M.Sc. i learned that 20% of them were treated as synonym....

Everyone will agree that one plant species must have one single name throughout the World,, so therefore all these exercise is going on..

but one thing is good that even the synonyms refer to the same plant species....

regards,

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 18, 2011, 3:41:32 AM10/18/11
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, H S, efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo, Vijayasankar Raman, Mahadeswara
Bhat ji
Just showing desperation does not help. I have been teaching my students for last four decades that correct names of tomato is Lycopersicon esculentum, and it had in fact been given a seal of stability (we call it nomen conservandum in technical language). All the three editions of my book had one full page justifying it, but we find it  being named it as Solanum lycopercum (in fact the oldest name). I had described several new species and given new names to some, but a few are now changed. I did not get frustrated because I knew that thousands of researchers all around the world are working day and night to tell us how much similarity there is between the plants or which names are to be used based on rules of scientific naming. Let us be grateful to them for bringing the science to order, and not show our frustration. No one is trying to show superiority. If updating information is the show of authority, perhaps it can't be helped. If we want to remain happy with local names, a safeda to me and you here in warmer India is Eucalyptus, but Populus for a Kashmiri who has not seen Eucalyptus in valley. I don't know that Palak that we eat in Delhi and other states is not Spinach (botanically Spinacea oleracea), it is a variety of beet. Not 5 per cent of Palak sold in Indian markets is Spinach. Whom do we blame for this, because we call both as Palak. Let us spread knowledge on this group and not blame others or show our frustration on others.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ushadi micromini

Oct 18, 2011, 9:07:06 AM10/18/11
to efloraofindia
well said and expressed...

my frustration with herbal medicine was the other way around...like in
your example of Palak...]

to many regional names in too many books ..authors of which claimed to
be experts and if they were also examiners or their pet students were
examiners ..that was a terror....
so I am very grateful for the scientific binomials, they have brought
some semblance of order... although their work goes on... and on.. to
further refinement of classification ...

usha di
=======

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Anand Kumar Bhatt
> <anandkbh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > What is the rationale behind changing the names of plants without any rhyme
> > or reason. This is such irritant for a layman like me. You fix a name in
> > your mnd, and suddenly somebody informs yu that the new name is noot XYZ but
> > XYZ1. Is this the way to maintain the superiority of the subject expert?
> > AK
>
> > On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Urararia alopecuroides was earlier under U. lapopus DC. (FBI 2: 156), now
> >> considered as synonym of
>
> >>  *Uraria* *lagopodoides* (L.) DC
>
> >> Yes this could be possible as most leaves are simple (rather unifoliate)
>
> >> --
> >> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >> Retired  Associate Professor
> >> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

> > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/>(NEW PHOTOS HAVE BEEN ADDED ON 15

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 18, 2011, 9:19:33 AM10/18/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Ushadi
I have a simple philosophy, go by the current accepted opinion by reputed website/publication. The scientific opinion keeps on evolving and it it logical to go by it, rather being bound to fixed ideas.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pudji Widodo

Oct 19, 2011, 8:31:10 PM10/19/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Dr Gurcharan Ji, H.S. Ji, Garg Ji, Vijayasankar Ji, Anand Ji,
Usha di,

Thank you for the ID.

Pudji Widodo

M Swamy

Oct 20, 2011, 9:04:58 AM10/20/11
to Gurcharan Singh, H S, efloraofindia
Gurucharan ji and Hemson ji,
Wonderful interpretation, rather clarification by both the taxonomists.   This is really helpful for all the non-taxonomists.
Regards,
Mahadeswara swamy,Ph.D

H S

Oct 20, 2011, 9:28:09 AM10/20/11
to M Swamy, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
thanks Swamy ji for your wonderful comments, but i am just a learning taxonomy student, whereas Sirji is the most experienced taxonomist on the Group...

thanks once again..