Gulmohar Tree

Skip to the first unread message

mani nair

30 Apr 2011, 1:41:37 am30/04/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,
Happy to inform you that the Gulmohar tree which was not flowering  has now started flowering.
Here are two photos. Sorry for the picture quality.

Regards,

Mani.

gul1.jpg
gul2.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

30 Apr 2011, 2:10:30 am30/04/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Interestingly I have two trees, one on either side of our building just 50 feet away. One started flowering about 20 days back when leafless, and is now full of bloom. The leaves have just started to appear on lower branches.
The second tree started producing new leaves but no flowers (both are good sized; almost same height). Only 5-6 days ago it started producing flowers after the whole tree was full of leaves. I am uploading both.
    Can any member throw some light on explanation for this.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Vijayasankar

30 Apr 2011, 3:15:44 am30/04/11
to Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Congrats to both of you for ex situ conservation of this otherwise endangered (in wild) species in its homeland i.e. Madagascar.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

H S

30 Apr 2011, 3:39:15 am30/04/11
to Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
As it is exotic tree.. how it can be endangered in Wild...????

--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Muthu Karthick

30 Apr 2011, 3:40:41 am30/04/11
to H S, Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Endangered in Madagascar [where it is native]; exotic in India
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

Pankaj Oudhia

30 Apr 2011, 3:45:37 am30/04/11
to efloraofindia

What are you doing in Forest Dear Gulmohar? © Pankaj Oudhia

Till few months back this hill was rich in Boswellia population. The Traditional Healers visit to this hill for collection of Boswellia plant parts in bulk but without affecting its natural population. Now this Hill is under influence of "Dongar Mafia". There is an effort to capture the hill as well as its forest in the name of religion. Forest trees are decreasing and Gulmohar like trees are under promotion. Gulmohar is new tree for birds and other forest creatures. Hence they are migrating to other places. That's why I am asking that what are you doing in Forest Dear Gulmohar? You can see Boswellia tree in background of Gulmohar flowers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3O3iUGWClQ

Lady in Red: Gulmohar in Summer-1 © Pankaj Oudhia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMB8uQeCM2Y

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Neil Soares

30 Apr 2011, 6:49:36 am30/04/11
to mani nair, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com

Hi Prof. Singh,

   Would like to try to offer an explanation for this by taking an analogy from the Indian Laburnum.

   As I had stated in a previous mail :

"Forgot to mention that people who plant a Cassia fistula tree in the centre of their lawns and expect it to flower in summer, are solely disappointed because the moisture from watering the lawn is a deterrent to the tree to flower."

available at this link:

https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/search?hl=en&group=indiantreepix&q=Cassia+fistula+Neil+Soares&qt_g=Search+this+group

It is therefore possible that while the tree in the first photograph is behaving like any self-respecting Gulmohar should at the height of the summer season, the tree in the second photograph may be placed near a water source like an underground drain / tank or alternatively it may be receiving excessive watering by over-zealous gardeners.

                             Regards,

                               Neil Soares.

Gurcharan Singh

30 Apr 2011, 6:57:03 am30/04/11
to Neil Soares, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Neil ji
 I feel you are right. First is along the fence and second in the lawn.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Mahadeswara

30 Apr 2011, 7:02:12 am30/04/11
to efloraofindia
Yes. You are right. The horticulture experts' advice in general :
withdraw water at the time of flowering initiation . Gulmohar
flowers profusely in Mysore and Bangaolore, whereas in Chennai it is
not so and the flowering is not on time (May) . In fact in Mysore it
is called May flower. Excessive humidity may be a deterrent factor.

On Apr 30, 3:49 pm, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Prof. Singh,
>    Would like to try to offer an explanation for this by taking an analogy from the Indian Laburnum.
>
>    As I had stated in a previous mail :
>
> "Forgot to mention that people who plant a Cassia fistula tree in the centre of their lawns and expect it to flower in summer, are solely disappointed because the moisture from watering the lawn is a deterrent to the tree to flower."
>

> available at this link:
>  https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/search?hl=en&group=indi...
>
> It is therefore possible that while the tree in the first photograph is behaving like any self-respecting Gulmohar should at the height of the summer season, the tree in the second photograph may be placed near a water source like an underground drain / tank or alternatively it may be receiving excessive watering by over-zealous gardeners.
>                              Regards,
>                                Neil Soares.

mani nair

30 Apr 2011, 9:57:07 am30/04/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Thanks all for the appreciation. Gurcharanji your tree flowers are very beautiful.  My tree produced the flowers for the first time after its planting ten years ago.  I had lost the hope only to see it flowering, but said to myself why if no flowers, the tree itself is beautiful and on a  morning I saw small flower buds on its branches.   As said by Mr. Neil there is no water body near to it. I think there are two huge bottle palms on its sides which hampered its growth.

Regards,

Mani.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

30 Apr 2011, 11:01:59 am30/04/11
to efloraofindia
Some times, even if the plant is in shade during most of the day time
wont flower, if it is a summer flowering. Then when the path of sun
changes by time, the plant flowers.
Thanks for sharing the info.
Regards
Pankaj

Ushadi micromini

30 Apr 2011, 7:57:41 pm30/04/11
to efloraofindia
Dear All:
Regarding FLOWERING TIME of Gulmohar:
I have six trees on the street visible from all windows in my home...
one sets a few flowers in end of march, fills up by April 15th, one
behind it starts in april, fills up in end of april, 3rd and 4th are
half way red by end of april and the last two flower in may, mid may
to be precise... I note these dates because I am slowly developing
allergic conjunctivitis to Krishnachura pollen...this long pollen
season is not fun.

These are mature trees, at their tallest,(( their branches are
beginning to get that weird J shapes sometimes when they get too
long))... so they are upto 4th 5th floor balconies and windows.......
this sequence of flowering has been maintained for last
decade.....they are street trees, part dirt, part pavement... all get
the same rain, and same sustained heat from the building cement...
and same abuse from pollution, horns, junk thrown, people sitting
leaning on their trunks,. and same air humidity.. and same
sunlight ...

Since KMC (Kolkata corporation its department for such trees) planted
them at the same time, they came from the same nursery.... untill a
few years ago they were purchased I am told at one rupee per chara...
so was cheapest to plant... hence so frequently planted ....

Yet there might be some genetic variation and a reason for flowering
at different times ....

I have yet to discover it...

Additionally I dont think its the water quantity... there is one on a
lake shore and a bridge, over which I drive everyday, it flowers
profusely.. starting first week in April... and now its completely
laden... Dhakuria lake and its surrounding parks, land, and streets
were full of Delonix regia trees, and they were the biggest casualty
of Hurricane Aila in 2009... they were the most commonly toppled
tree... and where damage was done, this tree did the worst....

AND PEOPLE ARE VERY ATTACHED to the red flowers and they think its the
pride of the place... including myself...and in Bengal we have a very
romantic name for it: KRISHNACHURA.. who won't love the name and
its owner???

BUT this tree should be restricted for planting.... ITS invasive, its
fills the streets and hence sewer with zillions of leaves (hence help
street flooding), no birds other than crows nest in them... ( and you
know crows will nest anywhere) .. no animal is seen (at least in my
urban jungle) eating the seeds , the only animal I see that has any
use for the seeds is the poor womenfolk of the neighborhood who
collect fallen pods with their seeds for burning with wood for
cooking, the seeds have thick oil.... difficult to express out but ok
as fire fuel I guess... Its the most common tree to topple in
hurricanes and kaal baisakhi storms, so common right now in
Calcutta... Its wood turns an orangeish red exposed to air, and not
really very useful in making furniture of any quality or durability...
no carpenter worth his salt wanted to buy the toppled gulmohur teers.
((They made beeliine for some other trees..))... we saw street
dwellers slowly hacking away this wood for their street chulas...

Its myriad seeds find disturbed land even broken sidewalk
hospitable , and they sprout and grow... can not be transplanted if
the root breaks even a little while trying, roots go very deep very
quickly... so I imagine when it self seeds in countryside it can play
havoc....

I HOPE I HAVE NOT SERIOUSLY DISTURBED GULMOHUR LOVERS ( I am
one) ...but we must learn to temper that love and think of value
added urban landscape.... I would love to see birds other than just
crows, and native species like neem, mango, kathal, aswatha, bot and a
hundred others thrive... in a lively mix... so not plant any new
gulmohurs till some sane plan is made up....

Usha di
==========

Ushadi micromini

30 Apr 2011, 8:12:46 pm30/04/11
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Dear Dr Oudhia: I am very disturbed to hear this, but am glad you
wrote it.... and I read it... I will add this to my data for why not
to plant Gulmohur.. I have been (like the zillion Calcuttans) in love
with these flowers and even wrote about that love 20 years ago and
published... now as I looks at it carefully and unbiased view....its
one of the least useful trees in urban landscape... I wrote a few
things about it above, addressed as Dear All.... please read it.. and
comment...

Gulmohar is not new to birds in Kolkata, but they do not eat it...
whether familiar or not...
seeds I guess are just not edible or digestible....its oil content may
be purgative or not digested... I do not know...

In USA, Australia, some EU countries, some Pacific countries make
lists of invasive species and make a plan to eradicate or control
them... do we in India have such lists and plans?

Protecting native ayurvedic herbs must be a top priority... so this
question might get attention....

By the way for last ten years or so I have been reading your essays,
notes etc on Botany dot com... very nice, useful...
Thanks
Usha di

on Apr 30, 12:45 pm, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  What are you doing in Forest Dear Gulmohar? © Pankaj Oudhia Till few months
> back this hill was rich in Boswellia population. The Traditional Healers
> visit to this hill for collection of Boswellia plant parts in bulk but
> without affecting its natural population. Now this Hill is under influence
> of "Dongar Mafia". There is an effort to capture the hill as well as its
> forest in the name of religion. Forest trees are decreasing and Gulmohar
> like trees are under promotion. Gulmohar is new tree for birds and other
> forest creatures. Hence they are migrating to other places. That's why I am
> asking that what are you doing in Forest Dear Gulmohar? You can see
> Boswellia tree in background of Gulmohar flowers.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3O3iUGWClQ
>

> Lady in Red: Gulmohar in Summer-1 © Pankaj Oudhiahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMB8uQeCM2Y
>
> regards
>
> Pankaj Oudhia

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Endangered in Madagascar [where it is native]; exotic in India

Pankaj Oudhia

30 Apr 2011, 11:53:42 pm30/04/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks for your comments. For my friends in Madagascar Delonix is valuable medicinal plant.

Living with this exotic species from long time, innovative young Traditional Healers of India have started experimenting with it. When I documented new findings of these Healers which were not known even in Madagascar, the researchers showed interest to visit India and interact the Healers.

When I was preparing a report on Antioxidant Herbs I found the name of Gulmohar in Top 100 Antioxidants herbs of the world. There are plus and minus sides of all species.

If you are sure that you are allergic to Delonix then without any delay consult the Homoeopath. He will prepare medicine from Delonix itself which will cure you forever. Similia Simlibus Curantur is root of Homoeopathy. "Parthenium Hysterophorus" is valuable medicine in Homoeopathy and used to manage Parthenium allergy successfully.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

vijaya chakravarty

1 May 2011, 3:11:53 am01/05/11
to efloraofindia
Hello All,

Mass planting of Gulmohars should be dicouraged.

No doubt they are beautiful but in India they have little ecological
value. Gulmohar has spectacular blooms [ I am personally very fond of
the flowers] but the tree does not provide any shade during the hot
summer months.

It is invasive with a very shallow root system and brittle branches.
The 1st victim of monsoon in Mumbai is the Gulmohar, whch is uprooted
easily.

In the gardens planting a gulmohar is fine but on hillsides and open
areas the use should be strictly controlled.

Vijaya Chakravarty
Mumbai

On Apr 30, 7:57 pm, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> [...]

Pankaj Oudhia

1 May 2011, 3:59:48 am01/05/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks for your comments. In this famous song on Gulmohar many trees are shown.

Gulmohar gar Tumhara naam hota

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajJo7Moxrrw

Eager to know that whether Gulmohar trees shown in this song still surviving or not?

If I am not wrong scenes are from Mumbai.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Vijayasankar

1 May 2011, 3:40:59 pm01/05/11
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
So now it has even a 'cultural connection' with us!?
Besides its beauty, the fresh petals are also edible, eaten raw by children. I used to prefer only the standard petal for its better taste.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Pankaj Oudhia

1 May 2011, 3:53:20 pm01/05/11
to efloraofindia
One more link of Malyalam Movie named Gulmohar (2008). Although language barrier exists but I like this song very much. You can see flowering Gulmohar in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9NvJD8UYR4

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Ushadi micromini

1 May 2011, 8:45:36 pm01/05/11
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
AND I used to like the small green not yet beginning to open flower
bud, if fresh...has a tangy taste with astringent after effect... as a
child it was fun... but who knew this tree was only a beauty, that
topples and damages... and only crows nest ...they dont even eat its
fruit, and crows will eat anything!!

I still love the color burst!!!!

Usha di
==================

On May 2, 12:40 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So now it has even a 'cultural connection' with us!?
> Besides its beauty, the fresh petals are also edible, eaten raw by children.
> I used to prefer only the standard petal for its better taste.
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi

Ushadi micromini

1 May 2011, 8:52:03 pm01/05/11
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia

Dr. Oudhia:
thanks...
will certainly get my homeopath friend to do it...

now what I want to know...
how do your friends in Madagaskar use this tree parts in medicine?
is it written up? published , or is it still at shruti/smriti stage?
or did you write it up somewhere? I do not recall....
thanks,
Usha di
=========

On May 1, 8:53 am, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your comments. For my friends in Madagascar Delonix is valuable
> medicinal plant.
>
> Living with this exotic species from long time, innovative young Traditional
> Healers of India have started experimenting with it. When I documented new
> findings of these Healers which were not known even in Madagascar, the
> researchers showed interest to visit India and interact the Healers.
>
> When I was preparing a report on Antioxidant Herbs I found the name of
> Gulmohar in Top 100 Antioxidants herbs of the world. There are plus and
> minus sides of all species.
>
> If you are sure that you are allergic to Delonix then without any delay
> consult the Homoeopath. He will prepare medicine from Delonix itself which
> will cure you forever. Similia Simlibus Curantur is root of Homoeopathy.
> "Parthenium Hysterophorus" is valuable medicine in Homoeopathy and used to
> manage Parthenium allergy successfully.
>
> regards
>
> Pankaj Oudhia
>
> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Ushadi micromini

Ushadi

1 Jun 2012, 9:16:37 pm01/06/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com

I wrote a lot about Gulmohar here in this thread sending to myself so I will have it handy Usha di