Senna siamea- Kassod (Siamese/thai/yellow cassia, Ironwood tree, Bombay blackwood, Thailand shower)

J.M. Garg

Jan 10, 2008, 4:33:39 AM1/10/08
to indiantreepix
In Kolkata on 6/10/07. It's quite common in Kolkata & Delhi, with its lovely yellow flowers & pod shaped fruits.
Senna (from Arabic sanā), the sennas, is a large genus of around 250 species of flowering plants in the family Fabaceae, subfamily Caesalpinioideae. This diverse genus is native throughout the tropics, with a small number of species reaching into temperate regions. Almost all species were at one time or another placed in Cassia, a close relative which until recent decades served as a "wastebin taxon" to hold all Cassiinae[1]. The species were reassigned by Howard Samuel Irwin and Rupert Charles Barneby, but this process is not entirely complete and some corrections may still take place.
Typically Senna species have yellowish flowers. They may be herbs, smallish trees or even a kind of liana, but typically are shrubs or subshrubs.
Senna species make good ornamental plants and are used for landscape gardening. The wide variety of species and ecological adaptations makes at least a handful of sennas suitable for any climate warmer than cool-temperate.
The above details taken from Wikipedia link :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senna_(herb)

Here is a link about this tree, for details:

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg