Please identify this herb 1 - NS7

Skip to the first unread message

Neil Soares

29 Nov 2010, 1:46:57 pm29/11/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 Photographed at my farm at Shahapur on Sunday. Please identify this herb. It stood about 4-5 feet high.
                   Thanks,
                             With regards,
                               Neil Soares.

Unidentified herb 1a.jpg
Unidentified herb 1b.jpg
Unidentified herb 1c.jpg

Dinesh Valke

29 Nov 2010, 10:19:47 pm29/11/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
... herb with a bushy nature ... rambles and forms thickets ... can reach to great heights (the base then becomes woody)  ... native of tropical America ... Chromolaena odorata (syn. Eupatorium odoratum) ... the common floss flower, commonly known as: Siam weed, triffid weed • Hindi: बाग़ धोका bagh dhoka, तीव्र गंधा tivra gandha

Regards.

Neil Soares

29 Nov 2010, 10:47:06 pm29/11/10
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dinesh for both the ids. Had my doubts. Will obviously have to ger rid of this one pronto !
                    Regards,
                     Neil.

Yazdy Palia

30 Nov 2010, 11:20:12 am30/11/10
to Neil Soares, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr. Neil,
You are right, you will have to get rid of it in a pronto.
My pictures of the same.
DSCN4189.JPG
DSCN4340.JPG
DSCN4351.JPG
DSCN4186.JPG

Yazdy Palia

30 Nov 2010, 11:21:25 am30/11/10
to Neil Soares, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
please discard the black seed, it is different.
Regards
Yazdy.

Pankaj Kumar

30 Nov 2010, 3:34:45 pm30/11/10
to Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dinesh sir,
tivra gandha, does it smell so strong, i never felt that way??
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Dinesh Valke

30 Nov 2010, 9:04:40 pm30/11/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Pankaj, .... the plant smells when leaves are crushed.

Google "Chromolaena odorata smell"
... crushed leaves emit pungent odour
... also known as parrafienbos, for the smell. It smells like Parrafin
... Leaves ovate to triangular, 3-veined from the base, gland-dotted below, smelling strongly of turpentine or paraffin when crushed.

Regards.