Solanaceae Week- Solanum macrophyllum.

Padmini Raghavan

Apr 4, 2011, 10:05:51 PM4/4/11
to indiantreepix
Here are my pics of the Potato Tree seen on a street in Bangalore.
Unfortunately this tree is not seen in Chennai. Is the climate not conducive to its flowering here, I wonder.
Cheers,
  Padmini Raghavan.
Bangalore +Nandi Hills 087.jpg
Bangalore +Nandi Hills 091.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 5, 2011, 12:27:03 AM4/5/11
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Padmini ji
Potato tree is not S. macrophyllum (a very confused name now considered as synonym of S. albidum)

This one should be S. wrightii, uploaded few days earlier by Pankaj ji.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

formp...@yahoo.com

Apr 5, 2011, 1:16:45 AM4/5/11
to Padmini Raghavan, Efloraindia
Dear Padminiji
Is it potato or BRINJOL tree?
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Padmini Raghavan <pad...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 07:35:51 +0530
To: indiantreepix<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [efloraofindia:66354] Solanaceae Week- Solanum macrophyllum.

Padmini Raghavan

Apr 5, 2011, 5:34:07 AM4/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
I am feeling the heat, so it is time to pass the buck!
My source is Mr. Inghalikar's Trees Of Pune, page 60.
Shrikanth-ji, you are in the hot seat now.

With regards,
Padmini Raghavan.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 5, 2011, 6:18:52 AM4/5/11
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Don't worry Padmini ji. We (my self and Shrikant ji) won't fight over this. We will manage to sort it out.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Mahadeswara

Apr 6, 2011, 8:18:01 AM4/6/11
to efloraofindia
Attn: Dr. Padmini,
I have seen this tree in Chennai in T. Nagar (one of the roads in
between Pondy bazaar and GN Chetty road : in a residential house). It
does not flower profusely as in Mysore or Bangalore.
Earlier I have posted the pictures of this tree from Mysore city.
Please see the link. This tree flowers throughout the year. Now is
the flush season. I have a few trees nearby my house in Mysore.
>  Bangalore +Nandi Hills 087.jpg
> 1610KViewDownload
>
>  Bangalore +Nandi Hills 091.jpg
> 1594KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 6, 2011, 8:36:26 AM4/6/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Mahadeswara ji
Please send the link. In light of the recent KEW Plant List, what do you suggest it correct name to be.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Jul 14, 2011, 12:53:43 AM7/14/11
to efloraofindia, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com, maha...@gmail.com, kalida...@gmail.com, altha...@gmail.com, Gurcharan Singh, Padmini Raghavan, Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Potato tree is not S. macrophyllum (a very confused name now considered as synonym of S. albidum)

This one should be S. wrightii, uploaded few days earlier by Pankaj ji.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

I have seen this tree in Chennai in  T. Nagar   (one of the roads  in

between Pondy bazaar and GN Chetty road : in a  residential house). It
does not flower profusely as in Mysore or Bangalore.
 Earlier I have posted the pictures of this tree from Mysore city.
Please see the link. This tree flowers throughout  the year.  Now is

the flush season.  I have a few trees nearby my house in Mysore.” from Mahadeswara ji.

“Mahadeswara ji

Please send the link. In light of the recent KEW Plant List, what do you suggest it correct name to be.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

I think this is the link:

Sep 13, 2011, 4:12:21 AM9/13/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Padirag ji,
I have seen this tree flowering in Yercaud. I have yet to spot it in Chennai. Will be looking out for it.
Regards,
Mohan

hari lal

Sep 13, 2011, 6:24:12 AM9/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Padmini Raghavan, Mahadeswara, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick, manudev madhavan
i think this is s.xanthocarpon
--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR