Flowering tree - Odina wodier, Family Anacardiaceae,

raghu ananth

Apr 29, 2008, 2:09:09 PM4/29/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Quite a good number of these odina wodier tree's (local name: oodi mara) were found flowering in Biligiri Hills.

Odina wodier
Family: Anacardiaceae
Local Name: Oodi mara,
Place: Biligiri Rangana betta
Habitat: Forest
Photograph date: 20 Apr 2008

Regards
-Raghu

From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India. Click here.
OodiMara-Flower.jpg
OodiMara-Trunk.jpg
OodiMara-Leaves.jpg
OodiMara-Seeds.jpg

nabha meghani

Apr 29, 2008, 2:33:36 PM4/29/08
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ragu ji, for this beautiful picture.
may i request all of you to write the language when saying local name. Sorry i don't know exactly where is Biligiri Rangana betta
sorry sorry sorry for my lack of knowledge.
Nalini

vinod kumar gupta

Apr 29, 2008, 2:46:21 PM4/29/08
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com

Where is biligiri hills

Vinod

Barry Stock

Apr 29, 2008, 3:04:12 PM4/29/08
to raghu ananth, indiantreepix Indian
Are you certain of the ID? It looks very much like a Bignoniaceae
flower and seed capsule.

A synonym for Odina wodier is Lannea coromandelica, with an image
from Thailand shown at this link:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Ql0giRiL9_WMqM:http://
www.numtan.com/nineboard/picupreply/3307.jpg

The linked image shows a more typical Lannea/Anacardiaceae fruit.

Nonetheless, I love the flowers and rugose seed pod. I hope a
positive ID is forthcoming.

-bs

On Apr 29, 2008, at 2:09 PM, raghu ananth wrote:
> Quite a good number of these odina wodier tree's (local name: oodi
> mara) were found flowering in Biligiri Hills.
>
> Odina wodier
> Family: Anacardiaceae
> Local Name: Oodi mara,
> Place: Biligiri Rangana betta
> Habitat: Forest
> Photograph date: 20 Apr 2008
>
> Regards
> -Raghu
>

> From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India. Click here.
> >

> <OodiMara-Flower.jpg><OodiMara-Trunk.jpg><OodiMara-
> Leaves.jpg><OodiMara-Seeds.jpg>

Mahadeswara Swamy

Apr 29, 2008, 11:29:48 PM4/29/08
to raghu ananth, treepix Indian
Oh.  It is not Odina wodiyar.  Mr. Barry is right. I can send a photograph of O.wodiyar.   These trees are plenty on Chennai roads. Right now many  are flowering in leafless condition.  They don't provide any shade during the peak summer.  That is why it is not liked.
It is my view that one should not derive the scientific name of a plant based on the local name , as it is often misleading.  One should check the morphological characters.
Dr. Mahadeswara swamy

Gopakumar S

Apr 30, 2008, 12:04:47 AM4/30/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com, ragh...@yahoo.com, swamy...@yahoo.com
Hello,
Could this be Radermachera xylocarpa of Bignoniaceae?
Gopan

Kerala Agricultural University (www.kau.edu)
Thrissur, Kerala, India
Ph: 0487-2370050,2371018 (Extn-219)
Fax: 0487-2371040, 9447890860 (Mob)
www.foralkau.org

J.M. Garg

Apr 30, 2008, 2:08:57 AM4/30/08
to Gopakumar S, indian...@googlegroups.com, ragh...@yahoo.com, swamy...@yahoo.com
I am giving details & links from Indiantreepix Database for comparision for Radermachera xylocarpa:
Radermachera xylocarpa  Bignoniaceae Kharsing Flowers photographed at my farm at Shahapur [near Bombay]- Neil ji (8/4/08?). Flowering season is quite long from Late Feb. upto May sometimes- Satish ji- Pune.
CAB Abstracts A 'Nectar Thief' - indiantreepix | Google Groups

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

satish phadke

Apr 30, 2008, 4:36:35 AM4/30/08
to J.M. Garg, Gopakumar S, indian...@googlegroups.com, ragh...@yahoo.com, swamy...@yahoo.com
Dear  Raghuji
These photographs look like Radermachera xylocarpa .(Bignoniaceae family) Look at the bell shaped flowers classical  of this family.Anacardiaceae family members have very small flowers.Also the new name for Odina wodier is Lannea coromandelica.(Moi in Marathi)For information please refer to earlier discussions of Family of the week: Anacardiaceae and following link.
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/a95b06051c49b8f0/a71673a4253806b3?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=+Lannea+coromandelica+#a71673a4253806b3
The earlier name of Lannea is interesting to remember because of its pronunciation which resembles."Oh---Diana !! Oh ---Dear!!!"
Regards
Satish
--
SATISFIED http://satishphadke.blogspot.com/

J.M. Garg

Apr 30, 2008, 7:12:53 AM4/30/08
to indiantreepix
Forwarding pl.

Apr 30, 2008, 7:18:10 AM4/30/08
to satish phadke, Gopakumar S, indian...@googlegroups.com, ragh...@yahoo.com, swamy...@yahoo.com
Earlier Indiantreepix link for Lannea coromandelica with pictures is available at

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"

raghu ananth

May 1, 2008, 11:56:27 PM5/1/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Hi Vivek, Nalini,

Sorry again, Here is a wikipedia reference on biligiri hill ranges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biligirirangan_Hills

Hope this helps

-Raghu

Quite a good number of these odina wodier tree's (local name: oodi mara) were found flowering in Biligiri Hills.

Odina wodier
Family: Anacardiaceae
Local Name: Oodi mara,
Place: Biligiri Rangana betta
Habitat: Forest
Photograph date: 20 Apr 2008

Regards
-Raghu

From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India. Click here.

Bring your gang together. Do your thing. Find your favourite Yahoo! Group.