Kaash flowers- Bengal (more pix)

Skip to the first unread message

Shantanu Bhattacharya

22 Sept 2010, 3:02:30 pm22/09/10
to efloraofindia
Hi
sharing two more pics of Kaash flowers (Saccharum spontaneum)  that bloom in Bengal in autunm....and its blooming time coincides with the Durga Puja- the main festival of Bengalis.

pic taken at Narendrapur near Kolkata.

regards
Shantanu :)
kaash.jpg
kaash2.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

22 Sept 2010, 3:05:36 pm22/09/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Interesting it is flowering here in California also

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Shantanu Bhattacharya

22 Sept 2010, 3:09:50 pm22/09/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thats really nice....
the beauty of the vast fields when they turn white with Kaash flowers is something to be admired

Shantanu : )

Pankaj Oudhia

22 Sept 2010, 3:16:19 pm22/09/10
to efloraofindia
Valuable herb for Traditional Healers but headache for farmers due to its deep roots. I remember the college days when our weed science professor informed that in fifties massive efforts have been done to eradicate this weed in North India.

Once established it is hard to uproot. In my state Panicles are used in Khamharchhat (Hal Shasthi) Pooja.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Shantanu

23 Sept 2010, 12:44:34 pm23/09/10
to efloraofindia
Hi Pankaj ji..
Interesting informations on Saccharum spontaneum....
but in my state, these flowers are not cut becoz by this time, paddy
cultivation is almost over...
here in Bengal, for ages this flower has been associated with the
Durga Puja,...and there is also the mention of this flower in many
Bengali poems and novels.
and many of us have also seen the vast fields adorned with Kaash
flowers in the famous Satyajit Ray's oscar winning film Pathher
Panchhali.
that scene where Durga is running with her brother Apu, across the
endless Kaash fields to see the steam-engine, still remians etched in
my mind.

i feel so nostalgic.

regards
Shantanu : )