Yellow climber for ID | 07Jun1AR01

Skip to the first unread message

raghu ananth

7 Jun 2010, 11:38:13 am07/06/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Yellow climber for ID | 07Jun1AR01

07 May 2010, Moodlu koppal village, Mysore
< 0.5cms thick, approx 15 meters long, Habitat -Agricultural canal and field edges.

Regards
Raghu

DSC_1874c.jpg
DSC_1875b.jpg
DSC_1874a.jpg

tanay bose

7 Jun 2010, 11:51:36 am07/06/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Cuscuta chinensis Lamarck, Encycl. 2: 229. 1786. Hopefully!!
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Dinesh Valke

7 Jun 2010, 12:09:59 pm07/06/10
to tanay bose, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Cuscuta chinensis ... commonly known as: Chinese dodder • Hindi: अमरबेल amar bel, मखनियो makhanio • Konkani: अमोरवेल amorvel • Marathi: अमरवेल amarvel
... native to China, e Asia; naturalized elsewhere.

Regards.

raghu ananth

7 Jun 2010, 1:50:21 pm07/06/10
to Dinesh Valke, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Short summary on this twiner,

Cuscuta chinensis - Twiner, dodder, no leaves, parasitic herb, depends on the host for food (after the early stages), kills the host later,

Dodder - A leafless annual parasitic vine of the genus Cuscuta having whitish or yellow filamentous stems; obtain nourishment through haustoria

eflora  link

Regards
Raghu

> Cuscuta chinensis - Twiner, dodder, no leaves, parasitic herb, depends on the host for food (after the early stages), kills the host later,
>
> Dodder - A leafless annual parasitic vine of the genus Cuscuta having whitish or yellow filamentous stems; obtain nourishment through haustoria
>
> http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/potd/2009/10/cuscuta_chinensis.php
>
> eflora  link
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/d5e...
>
> Regards
> Raghu
>
> ________________________________

Tanay ji and Dinesh ji

In sanskrit this climber is identified as AKASHAVALLI

Hindi - Akashavel, Amaravel.
Bengal - Alokalatha.
English - Dordar.
Punjab - Niradhara.

This climber is mentioned in our Ayurvedic text BHAVAPRAKASHA NIGHANTU
[ written by Bhavaprakasha-15-16 A.D.]

There is difference of opinion in identifying this climber. so please
confirm how to identify the climber
1. Cuscuta reflexa Roxb - Convolvulaceae.
2. Cuscuta chinensis Lam - convolvulaceae.
3. Cassytha filiformis Linn - Lauraceae.

In our Ayurvedic texts our recent authors identified AKASHAVALLI as
Cuscuta reflexa Roxb and Cassytha filiformis.
Please confirm how to identify b/w the above mentioned three drugs.
Regards
Dr K Brijesh

Dr K. Brijesh

7 Jun 2010, 2:33:24 pm07/06/10
to efloraofindia

On Jun 7, 10:50 pm, raghu ananth <raghu_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Short summary on this twiner,
>
> Cuscuta chinensis - Twiner, dodder, no leaves, parasitic herb, depends on the host for food (after the early stages), kills the host later,
>
> Dodder - A leafless annual parasitic vine of the genus Cuscuta having whitish or yellow filamentous stems; obtain nourishment through haustoria
>
> http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/potd/2009/10/cuscuta_chinensis.php
>
> eflora  link
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/d5e...
>
> Regards
> Raghu
>
> ________________________________

Dinesh Valke

8 Jun 2010, 2:14:12 am08/06/10
to Dr K. Brijesh, efloraofindia
Dear Dr Brijesh,

May not be able to state differences precisely (botanically).
Not yet familiar with C. reflexa.

Cuscuta chinensis is very thin (thinner than ordinary ball-point refill tube), wiry, sprawls all over the host ... have seen it spread over Casuarina; from a distance looks like a massive lemon yellow coloured shawl !! Not seen a sight of its lost glory. The flowers / fruits are seen in dense clusters, ... may remind of saabu-daana !!

Cassytha filiformis is relatively thicker (thicker than the refill tube), and a look at place where it coils would show its suckers to eye without strain. This plant too sprawls, the colours however are hues of green, yellow, amber, red ... all of together showing different stages - vegetative growth, flowering, fruiting, and its lost glory. From close distance, will find its flowers / fruits alternately arranged along the stem, seemingly large thermacole beads
Attached are view of each, sighted from distance.

Friends may correct any of my wrong perception.
Attached are views of the two plants.

Regards.
Cuscuta_chinensis_spread.jpg
Cuscuta_chinensis_flowers.jpg
Cuscuta_chinensis_fruits.jpg
Cassytha_flowers_fruits.jpg
Cassytha_filiformis_spread.jpg

tanay bose

8 Jun 2010, 7:02:19 am08/06/10
to Dinesh Valke, Dr K. Brijesh, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh ji ,
I am producing the detailed description of both the plants.

Cassytha filiformis Linnaeus, Sp. Pl. 1: 35. 1753.

Stem green-brown, filiform, slightly woody, rusty pubescent when young but sparsely pubescent or glabrous when mature. Leaves reduced to minute scales. Spike ca. 2.5 cm, densely rusty pubescent; bracts and bracteoles brown, minute, broadly ovate, ca. 1 mm, ciliate. Flowers white, small, less than 2 mm, sessile. Perianth lobes 6, in 2 series, outer 3 small, orbicular, ciliate, inner 3 larger, ovate, all pubescent outside, subglabrous inside. Fertile stamens 9; filaments of 1st whorl subpetaloid, those of 2nd and 3rd whorls filiform, of 3rd whorl each with 2 stalkless glands, others glandless; anthers 2-celled; cells of 1st and 2nd whorls introrse, those of 3rd whorl extrorse. Staminodes 3, stalked. Ovary ovoid, subglabrous; style short, slightly angled; stigma small, capitate. Fruit small, ovoid, included in dilated and fleshy perianth tube after anthesis, free, with persistent lobes on top. Fl. and fr. May-Dec.

Cuscuta chinensis Lamarck, Encycl. 2: 229. 1786.

Stems yellow, thin, ca. 1 mm in diam. Inflorescences lateral, compact cymose glomerules, few to many flowered, subsessile; bracts and bracteoles scalelike. Pedicel ca. 1 mm. Calyx cupular; sepals triangular, ca. 1.5 mm, apex obtuse, partly thickened. Corolla white, urceolate, ca. 3 mm; lobes persistent triangular-ovate, apex acute or obtuse, reflexed. Stamens inserted at throat; scales oblong, reaching stamens, long fimbriate. Ovary subglobose. Styles 2, equal or unequal in length; stigma globose. Capsule enclosed by withered corolla, globose, ca. 3 mm in diam., circumscissile. Seeds 2-4, pale brown, ovoid, ca. 1 mm, scabrous. 2n = 28, 56.

Regards
Tanay

JM Garg

6 Sept 2017, 4:03:36 am06/09/17
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, ayurb...@gmail.com
I think it should be Cuscuta campestris Yunck. as per keys as per Flora of China
DSC_1874c.jpg
DSC_1875b.jpg
DSC_1874a.jpg

JM Garg

6 Sept 2017, 4:04:21 am06/09/17
to efloraofindia, DineshValke
I think first three images should be of Cuscuta campestris Yunck. as per keys as per Flora of China