Lamiaceae & Verbenaceae Week: Lamiaceae, Lanatana indica from Delhi

Skip to the first unread message

Gurcharan Singh

7 Jul 2011, 11:46:56 pm07/07/11
to efloraofindia
Lantana indica Roxb.Fl. ind. ed. 1832, 3:89. 1832
syn: L. alba auct. (non Mill.); L. collina Decne.

Erect shrub with crenate-serrate rugose leaves and white flowers with yellow tube.
local name: Ghaneri

Photographed from Ridge in Delhi

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Lantana-indica-Ridge-Delhi-1.jpg
Lantana-indica-Ridge-Delhi-2.jpg
Lantana-indica-Ridge-Delhi-3.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

8 Jul 2011, 12:57:53 am08/07/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Dear Sir ji
Was missing your comments and photos when the week started..But "Dinesh ji was rocking" in words of new generation and of course were others with their beautiful photos.
For last two days am able to see your comments and photos.
Where were you?
Any way I never new that their is /are sps in Lantana and one is indica. I use to call all of them as camara. How many sps are there in Lantana.
By mistake I deleted the photos of Lantana camara send by you thinking it is common/known why enlarge and see? Can you repost it?
the leaves of these both plants smell same, Do they differ in shape? Dont remember/not noticed?
The flowers do differ in the shape and that tubular structure.
Second question if indica sps is of Indian origin why do we blame in general the Lantana as it has come from outside and is opportunistic and is spreading as weed?  Or is the blame only for camara?
one more posting of purple flower had come. Is that the third variety?
In Marathi do we call all of them Ghaneri which is the name mentioned here?
Madhuri

But now unable to distinguish the diff in camara and indica. Can y

Na Bha

8 Jul 2011, 6:45:46 am08/07/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Dear Madhuri ji,
the name Ghaneri I remember now, it is because of the smell isn't it? But I also remember when we used to walk up to Parvati-temple in Pune we used to pluck the small flowers and such the nectar. I think it was Ghaneri. There were shrubs in plenty near तळ्यातला गणपती.
Regards
Nalini

formp...@yahoo.com

8 Jul 2011, 6:50:40 am08/07/11
to Na Bha, Efloraindia, Gurcharan Singh
Dear NaBhaji
In a mail few days back I had mentioned this smell of Ghaneri. I always wonder why such nice smelling leaf should be given that name? (For nonmarathi meaning is bad smelling.)
The second point you might be sucking the necture of Ixora (red one) and eating black small berries of Ghaneri????
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Na Bha <nabha-...@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 12:45:46 +0200
To: Madhuri Pejaver<formp...@yahoo.com>
Cc: efloraofindia<indian...@googlegroups.com>; Gurcharan Singh<sing...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:73618] Lamiaceae & Verbenaceae Week: Lamiaceae, Lanatana indica from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

8 Jul 2011, 7:16:36 am08/07/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, Na Bha, Efloraindia
Dear Madhuri ji
I am at present at Kashmir for two months, relocating and shooting plants I had known and studied 35-40 years back. When I am not interacting I am out for overnight visit to Gulmarg, Pahagaml or Sonamarg. I had started the week with five uploads and then there was a gap of two days when I was out shooting plants, interacting only when I got some time. Today I uploaded seven plants in the morning, and plan a few in the evening. There are a lot of species especially Nepeta and Salvia which I have to upload in the remaining days of the week. I may not be able to provide much information, as I am not carrying my books along, but will manage with whatever I have.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ushadi micromini

9 Jul 2011, 1:27:19 am09/07/11
to efloraofindia

Dear All:
please NOBODY SHOULD BE EATING LANTANA>>>>>
SUCKING NECTAR FROM LANTANA IS OUT OF QUESTION.....
Berries and leaves are poisonous for livestock, children and
even some (frail, old more so ) adults...
effects are like Atropine poisoning...

please no romantizing this plant..esp since it looks sooooo nice...
and berries very attractive to children, keep them away, pluck off the
flower heads as soon as the flowers start falling off, before berries
develop...

Usha di
=========

On Jul 8, 3:45 pm, Na Bha <nabha-megh...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Dear Madhuri ji,
> the name Ghaneri I remember now, it is because of the smell isn't it?
> But I also remember when we used to walk up to Parvati-temple in Pune we
> used to pluck the small flowers and such the nectar. I think it was
> Ghaneri. There were shrubs in plenty near ???????? ?????.

Na Bha

11 Jul 2011, 6:45:25 am11/07/11
to Ushadi micromini, Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia
Thank you Usha di for your comments.

I remember from my childhood, that we were doing that, but don't
remember exactly if it was Ghaneri flower. As Madhuri ji and myself
share some old memories i asked her, if whta i remember is correct.
I was many times tempted here to try the flower, did not do though.
I don't know which flower it was, that we liked so much when i was small.
The places I wrote about have changed a lot, perhaps someone from Pune
may remember how the Ganapati-temple looked like many years ago.

Anyway, i am not going to try sucking the Lantana flower.

>>> Subject: [efloraofindia:73591] Lamiaceae& Verbenaceae Week:

Gurcharan Singh

11 Jul 2011, 7:03:00 am11/07/11
to Na Bha, Ushadi micromini, Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia
Today I received a reply to my Hemerocallis fulva upload, that flower buds and flowers are cooked as a tasty vegetable. The golden needles as they are called are commonly used in Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean and Vietnamese cooking.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

    To: "efloraofindia"<indiantreepix@googlegroups.com>

JM Garg

26 Jan 2020, 12:51:01 am26/01/20
to efloraofindia, sing...@gmail.com
I think this is Lantana camara subsp. aculeata and not Lantana indica as per keys at eFlora of Pakistan
Lantana-indica-Ridge-Delhi-1.jpg
Lantana-indica-Ridge-Delhi-2.jpg
Lantana-indica-Ridge-Delhi-3.jpg

J.M. Garg

2 Feb 2020, 11:10:16 pm02/02/20
to efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh
Appears similar to white coloured form of Lantana camara as at Lucid Central.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,00,000 images are directly displayed on 30.8.19).

Lantana-indica-Ridge-Delhi-1.jpg
Lantana-indica-Ridge-Delhi-2.jpg
Lantana-indica-Ridge-Delhi-3.jpg

J.M. Garg

2 Feb 2020, 11:11:38 pm02/02/20
to efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh
Hi, Singh ji,
You can see the bracts in the last image though not clear in the posted low resolution image.