Orchid for ID

Skip to the first unread message

manudev madhavan

20 May 2011, 11:47:24 pm20/05/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,

Please help me identify this orchid.
Collected from Thamarasserry Ghat, Kozhikode, Yesterday

regards

--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow

DSC_1904.JPG
DSC_1909.JPG

Prashant awale

21 May 2011, 12:11:36 am21/05/11
to manudev madhavan, indiantreepix
I think Bee Orchid, Cottonia peduncularis.

Regards
Prashant

Prashant awale

21 May 2011, 12:19:50 am21/05/11
to manudev madhavan, indiantreepix
I had seen this near Dudhsagar, Goa. Here are few photographs of the same..

Regards
Prashant
IMG_7363.jpg
IMG_7368.jpg
IMG_7626c.jpg
IMG_7617c.jpg

tanay bose

21 May 2011, 12:33:50 am21/05/11
to Prashant awale, manudev madhavan, indiantreepix
I have very bad ideas about the orchids
still Google search confirmed me that
this is indeed bee orchid
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

mani nair

21 May 2011, 1:08:42 am21/05/11
to tanay bose, Prashant awale, manudev madhavan, indiantreepix
Yes, this is Bee orchid.  I have seen this Orchid at Karnala bird sanctuary, near Panvel.
Regards,
Mani.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

21 May 2011, 3:46:30 am21/05/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Manu
Yes this is Cottonia peduncularis.
A monotypic genera distributed exclusively in South India up till
Orissa and Sri lanka.
Thanks for sharing.

I will request you and other members who are posting orchid pics that
please cc them to sahani...@gmail.com, so that I would know. I have
kept eflora mails on digest mode due to my hectic schedule these days
as I havent been able to contribute much.
Work load has been too high.

Regards
Pankaj