EUPHORBIACEAE WEEK :: Phyllanthus emblica

Skip to the first unread message

Satish Phadke

14 Mar 2011, 9:56:03 am14/03/11
to indiantreepix
Phyllanthus emblica
Though the EUPHORBIACEAE WEEK is over I couldn't resist posting the good specimen of flowers which I observed yesterday in Smruti Udyan Pune.
Dr Phadke

_MG_1358s.jpg
_MG_1353s.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

14 Mar 2011, 10:10:16 am14/03/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Really nice photographs, Satish ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Prashant awale

14 Mar 2011, 11:22:16 am14/03/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Yes, Nice photographs Satish ji.
regards
Prashant

Rashida Atthar

14 Mar 2011, 11:34:35 am14/03/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
If the pictures are so good, keep them coming Satish ji , thanks. These are also complementary to the wonderful ones uploaded by Dr. Gurcharan ji last week.  Here the fimbriate bracts at the base of flowers are clearly seen and the distichous sub-sessile leaves.  The bark peels off in conchoidal flakes ! (Can someone Please explain what exactly is the meaning of conchoidal ?).

Amlas are great to have in the field, dried, salted and sweetend ones.!!  Family now  is  Phyllanthaceae : Phyllanthus emblica L.

regards,
Rashida.

Satish Phadke

14 Mar 2011, 10:42:28 pm14/03/11
to Rashida Atthar, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Thanks Rashida ji
This is what I liked. Finding out some characters from the photographs.
As non botanists I am not conversant with handling herbarium specimens.Photographing can find at least some....
Dr Phadke

Muthu Karthick

15 Mar 2011, 1:26:10 am15/03/11
to Satish Phadke, Rashida Atthar, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Dear Rashidaji,
con·choi·dal: Denoting a type of fracture in a solid (such as flint or quartz) that results in a smooth rounded surface resembling the shape of a scallop shell.

Dear Sathishji,
Did you checked with Phyllanthus indofischeri Bennet? It differs in size of leaf and no. of pairs in a rachis and fruit (wild) size.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

Rashida Atthar

15 Mar 2011, 9:18:50 am15/03/11
to Muthu Karthick, Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Thanks Muthu ji. Brandis has mentioned for this plant -pg 570 : as " bark greenish -gray, peeling off in conchoid scales,  wood red, hard, med. rays broad, conspicuous on a vertical  section".   So the natural fracturing in the wood, bark would lead some sort of scales looking like scallop shell?!!

regards,
Rashida.