Who is this guy ?

Alok Goyal

Oct 27, 2009, 6:59:35 AM10/27/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
The photos were taken from a medicinal plant garden at National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and research (NIPER) Mohali, Punjab. the gardener there says that he purchased the plants from a nursery and the nursery wala said its Acacia catechu. however it doesn't seem to me like Acacia catechu. its bark, stem and canopy are very different. what is this ???

Alok
msc1-037.jpg
msc1-040.jpg
msc1-046.jpg
msc1-051.jpg

lavkumar khachar

Oct 27, 2009, 7:27:11 AM10/27/09
to Alok Goyal, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alok,

I liked your referrinng to the tree as "this Guy"! To me the Guy seems to be an "Avla" ("Ambla" in Gujarati). I forget the scientific name. The fruits are rich in Vitamin C.

Lavkumar Khachar.

lavkumar khachar

Oct 27, 2009, 7:30:00 AM10/27/09
to Alok Goyal, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alok,

I am sorry I overloked the inflorescence. No, this is not "Avla" though the leaves look very much as of that tree.

Lavkumar Khachar.

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Oct 27, 2009, 9:16:51 AM10/27/09
to indiantreepix
Not Avla atleast!!!

Neil Soares

Oct 27, 2009, 12:51:06 PM10/27/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Alok Goyal
Hi Alok,
  It could be Acacia suma [Acacia polycantha]. Have seen it in the Borivali National Park in Bombay.
                With regards,
                  Neil Soares.

Alok Goyal

Oct 28, 2009, 12:22:49 AM10/28/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
The pictures were taken from National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) Mohali, Punjab. the tree is in flowering these days it was procured by one of the garden supervisor on an impression that it is Acacia catechu but i think its not that species. note the difference in bark (very papery), Canopy (comparatively dense) and Spines on stem.

Can anyone ID this Tree...

Alok
msc1 047comp.jpg
msc1 051Comp.jpg
msc1 042comp.jpg
msc1 037.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 21, 2009, 2:15:45 AM11/21/09
to indiantreepix, Alok Goyal, Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh-sify, Tabish

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

Earlier relevant feedback:

“ It could be Acacia suma [Acacia polycantha]. Have seen it in the Borivali National Park in Bombay.
                With regards,
                  Neil Soares.”

The photos were taken from a medicinal plant garden at National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and research (NIPER) Mohali, Punjab. the gardener there says that he purchased the plants from a nursery and the nursery wala said its Acacia catechu. however it doesn't seem to me like Acacia catechu. its bark, stem and canopy are very different. what is this ???

Alok

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

msc1-037.jpg
msc1-040.jpg
msc1-046.jpg
msc1-051.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 21, 2009, 3:15:33 AM11/21/09
to indiantreepix, Alok Goyal, Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh-sify, Tabish
Reply from Shtrikant ji:
"Dear Mr. Garg,
I used to know this tree as A. suma (Roxb.) Buch.-Ham. ex Voigt. on account of whitish flaky bark (AS per t. Cooke's flora) but the BSI flora has merged this with A. catechu which has dark coloured bark. Unless there are further changes this would be A. catechu (L.f.) Willd. Rgds
Shrikant Ingalhalikar"

Neil Soares

Nov 21, 2009, 8:25:10 AM11/21/09
to indiantreepix, J.M. Garg, Alok Goyal, Gurcharan Singh-sify, Tabish
Hi Mr.Garg,
  In Dr.Almeida's 'Flora of Maharashtra'  Vol 1, Acacia catechuoides [A.catechu] is distinct from Acacia polycantha [A.suma].
                              Regards,
                                Neil.

J.M. Garg

Nov 22, 2009, 8:16:39 AM11/22/09
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Alok Goyal, Gurcharan Singh-sify, Tabish, organi...@gmail.com
More feedback:
"Dear friends,
I have this tree in my farm (in Erode disrtict,Tamil nadu). How it reached is not known. May be by my habit of collecting seeds when going in to the forest and throwing the same in the farm.
It is a very fast growing one- grown near to irrigation pipe outlet, very hardy also. Can any one inform about the tree. It may be economically valuable too considering its hardiness.
R.Selvam"