Grass week-Echinochloa_frumentacea

Skip to the first unread message

satish pardeshi

7 Dec 2010, 1:53:08 am07/12/10
to indiantreepix

Echinochloa frumentacea Link, Hort. Berol. 1: 204, 1827; Bor, Grass. Ind. 311, 1960.

Synonyms: Panicum crusgalli var. frumentaceum Hook. f., Fl. Brit. India 7: 31, 1896. P. stagninum var. frumentacea Trim. Cat. Ceyl. Pl. 104, 1885; Cooke, Fl. Pres. Bombay 3: 447, 1958 (Repr.). E. colona var. frumentacea (Link) Ridl. Fl. Mal. Penin. 5: 223, 1925; Blatt. & McC. Bombay Grass. 149, 1935.

Common names: Barti, Sawan, Shamule.

Regards

Satish Pardeshi

--
EACH ONE.... PLANT ONE...

Satish Pardeshi
Plant Taxonomist
Mumbai, Pune

Echinochloa_frumentacea_inflorescence2_Poaceae.JPG
Echinochloa_frumentacea_inflorescence5_Poaceae.JPG
Echinochloa_frumentacea_infl_Poaceae.JPG

Ritesh Choudhary

7 Dec 2010, 2:20:36 am07/12/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Satishji,

I appreciate the microphotographs. Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Ritesh.

On Dec 7, 3:53 pm, satish pardeshi <satishparde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Echinochloa frumentacea *Link, Hort. Berol. *1:* 204, 1827; Bor, Grass.
> Ind. 311, 1960*.*
>
> *Synonyms:** Panicum crusgalli *var. *frumentaceum *Hook. f., Fl. Brit.
> India *7:* 31, 1896. *P. stagninum *var. *frumentacea *Trim. Cat. Ceyl. Pl.
> 104, 1885; Cooke, Fl. Pres. Bombay *3:* 447, 1958 (Repr.). *E. colona *var.
> *frumentacea *(Link) Ridl. Fl. Mal. Penin. *5:* 223, 1925; Blatt. & McC.
> Bombay Grass. 149, 1935.
>
> *Common names:* Barti, Sawan, Shamule.**
>
> Regards
>
> Satish Pardeshi
>
> --
> *EACH ONE.... PLANT ONE...*
> *
> *
> *Satish Pardeshi
> Plant Taxonomist  *
> *Mumbai, Pune*
>
>  Echinochloa_frumentacea_inflorescence2_Poaceae.JPG
> 260KViewDownload
>
>  Echinochloa_frumentacea_inflorescence5_Poaceae.JPG
> 263KViewDownload
>
>  Echinochloa_frumentacea_infl_Poaceae.JPG
> 233KViewDownload

tanay bose

7 Dec 2010, 9:53:07 am07/12/10
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Nice catch Satish Ji
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

7 Dec 2010, 11:09:18 am07/12/10
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thanks for showing another species of the genus. I knew only colona and crus-galli

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Vijayasankar

7 Dec 2010, 11:13:09 am07/12/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Satish ji, i like the idea of keeping graph sheet as background, which is very useful to know the size of spikelets.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

Gurcharan Singh

7 Dec 2010, 11:45:32 am07/12/10
to Vijayasankar, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Yes Vijayasankar ji
It is a very good idea. Macros really confuse you about size. Now perhaps I will carry a graph sheet with me on trips.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vijayasankar

7 Dec 2010, 11:58:24 am07/12/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Yes Gurcharan ji,

While providing both horizontal and vertical measurements, the graph sheet also gives a different and good-looking backround instead of traditional plain colour! we used to use this during college days while dissecting flower parts.

I am waiting to get a break to hunt for my grass pictures.
Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

Pankaj Kumar

7 Dec 2010, 12:42:25 pm07/12/10
to Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
I used to have a black A4 sized wooden light board with black rough
colour and a piece of graph paper at one corner. Wwhatever plant I
got, I used to keep it on the board in parts or complete to take some
pictures, apart from the normal habitat shots.
It really helps a lot later during morphometrics.
Thanks a lot for sharing this beautiful pic of the beautiful plant.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Kumar

7 Dec 2010, 1:15:25 pm07/12/10
to Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Echinochloa frumentacea (Roxb.) Link Hort. Berol. 1: 204. 1827.

Basionym:
Panicum frumentaceum Roxb. Hort. Bengal. 7. 1814.

Syn:

Panicum crusgalli var. frumentaceum Hook. f., Fl. Brit. India 7: 31, 1896.

Sathish sir, I think there would be an issue in synonymy of this taxa.
Before Hook.f. Roxburgh already described this taxa in Hortus
Bengalensis, thought in Flora of British India Hook.f. mentions Flora
Indica which was published later. Hence the basionym should be
Roxburgh's Hortus Bengalensis and not Hook.f's as written at many
places.