Fwd: Bauhinia puzzle

Bharat Bhushan

Oct 5, 2009, 7:28:07 AM10/5/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

I am almost sure about it being Bauhinia purpurea... but is it a specific variety?

--
Dr. Bharat Bhushan,
Professor, Environmental Planning, & Director, Centre for Environment and Development, YASHADA.

Dean (Academic) & Secretary, YASHADA
Yashwantrao Chavan Academy of Development Administration, Baner Road, Pune 411007 India. Email: bharat...@yahoo.com, Telephone: O: 25608164 Fax: (+91 20) 25608100 M: 9823338227

--
Dr. Bharat Bhushan,
Professor, Environmental Planning, & Director, Centre for Environment and Development, YASHADA.

Dean (Academic) & Secretary, YASHADA
Yashwantrao Chavan Academy of Development Administration, Baner Road, Pune 411007 India. Email: bharat...@yahoo.com, Telephone: O: 25608164 Fax: (+91 20) 25608100 M: 9823338227
DSC09599.JPG

Kenneth Greby

Oct 5, 2009, 9:36:46 AM10/5/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Bharat Bhushan
Bharat--

 I don't believe that any of the color forms of B. purpurea are named, though I suppose that there are possibly selected ones that may be propagated vegetatively to secure a specific floral appearance.

 If anyone else has additional info, please advise.

Ken Greby
Florida and California, USA

Tabish

Oct 6, 2009, 5:43:01 AM10/6/09
to indiantreepix
This is Bauhinia purpurea all right. Narrow petals which do not
overlap, exactly 3 stamens and strongly ribbed buds, are all
signatures. The flowers of B. purpurea vary from properly to purple to
completely white with just tinges of purple. You can see some other
color variations here:
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Purple%20Orchid%20Tree.html
- Tabish