DV :: 30MAR11 - 0559 :: Rosa leschenaultiana at Madikeri

Skip to the first unread message

Dinesh Valke

11 Apr 2011, 2:27:59 pm11/04/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Attached (cropped) photos are of one of the rare rose found in the high altitude wilderness of
southern and central Western Ghats ... most probably endemic.
Rosa leschenaultiana Red. & Thory ex. Wight & Arn ... Rosa sempervirens var. leschenaultiana Thory (basionym)
Not much is discussed about this plant on the internet.

Used "Wildflowers of Kodagu" by Dr T Ananda Rao as reference for ID ... he mentions local name as ಕಾಡು ಗುಲಾಬಿ ಹೂವು kaadu gulaabi huvu, translated would mean:
wild briar (OR brier) flower
A Badaga-English dictionary by Paul Hockings, Christiane Pilot-Raichoor has an entry for this plant with English names as Nilgiri cluster-rose, Nilgiri dog-rose.

Will be glad to
know the Tamil name of this plant OR the local name used by people of Nilgiri ... would it be semmati OR cemmati ?

Date/Time
: March 30, 2011 at 5.59pm IST
Location Place : outskirts of Madikeri town, Karnataka ... 12.450505, 75.711958 on Google maps
Altitude : 3606 ft (above mean sea level)

Regards.
Dinesh

PS: Please bear with the quality of photos ... all the 3 days at Coorg were overcast.
P1360193_CROPPED.jpg
P1360183_CROPPED.jpg

Prashant awale

12 Apr 2011, 12:43:33 am12/04/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Nice Catch Dinesh.
Regards
Prashant

Mahadeswara

12 Apr 2011, 7:32:30 am12/04/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks for sharing the photos. I will watch out for this rose when I
visit Madikeri. Sir, can you give the details of the book
"Wildflowers of Kodagu" by Dr T Ananda Rao, you have quoted. I would
like to purchase this book.

On Apr 11, 11:27 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> Attached (cropped) photos are of one of the rare rose found in the high
> altitude wilderness of southern and central Western Ghats ... most probably
> endemic.
> *Rosa leschenaultiana* Red. & Thory ex. Wight & Arn ... *Rosa sempervirens*var.
> *leschenaultiana* Thory (basionym)
> Not much is discussed about this plant on the internet.
>
> Used "Wildflowers of Kodagu" by Dr T Ananda Rao as reference for ID ... he
> mentions local name as ಕಾಡು ಗುಲಾಬಿ ಹೂವು *kaadu gulaabi huvu*, translated
> would mean: wild briar (OR brier) flower
> A Badaga-English dictionary by Paul Hockings, Christiane Pilot-Raichoor has
> an entry for this plant with English names as Nilgiri cluster-rose, Nilgiri
> dog-rose.
>
> Will be glad to know the Tamil name of this plant OR the local name used by
> people of Nilgiri ... would it be *semmati* OR *cemmati* ?
>
> Date/Time : March 30, 2011 at 5.59pm IST
> Location Place : outskirts of Madikeri town, Karnataka ... 12.450505,
> 75.711958 on Google maps <http://goo.gl/maps/9b5F>
> Altitude : 3606 ft (above mean sea level)
>
> Regards.
> Dinesh
>
> PS: Please bear with the quality of photos ... all the 3 days at Coorg were
> overcast.
>
>  P1360193_CROPPED.jpg
> 194KViewDownload
>
>  P1360183_CROPPED.jpg
> 194KViewDownload

Dinesh Valke

12 Apr 2011, 9:35:48 am12/04/11
to efloraofindia
Mahadewara ji ... got this book from "The Shoppe" in the premises of the "Kodagu Valley Resort" of Club Mahindra ... about 8 kms away from Madikeri town.

Wildflowers of Kodagu Dr T Ananda Rao published by Coorg Wildlife Society 1999
Price: Rs 160, 48 pages.

106 plants briefly described along with colour photo, common name in English (if any) and local name (if any)
Of the 106 plants, 44 are orchids.

Putting the resort contact details: (getting in touch may need lot of patience !!)

Contact Person:    Vikas Syal (General Manager)
Address: Club Mahindra Kodagu Valley
Galibeedu Road
Kalakeri Nidugane Village
Madikeri, Dist. Coorg
Karnataka 571204
Tel :    91–8272-221114
Mobile :    9686662213
Fax :    91-8272-221882
Email :    Vikas...@mahindraholidays.com

Regards.
Dinesh

chrischa...@btinternet.com

16 Jan 2017, 8:08:26 pm16/01/17
to efloraofindia
I know little about the flora of the region but I have serious doubts that the rose photographed represents a 'wild' species.  It clearly is a cultivated
plant.  My understanding is that the wild R.leschenaultiana has SINGLE flowers.

The situation is confused by the JCB Herbarium see: http://florakarnataka.ces.iisc.ac.in/hjcb2/herbsheet.php?id=3768&cat=1  having a photo of
a similar cultivated rose as this.  Whereas they have a pressed specimen with single flowers.  In the description it says 5 large white petals!

NOT match the images taken at Madikeri.

J.M. Garg

16 Jan 2017, 11:18:24 pm16/01/17
to chrischa...@btinternet.com, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
Thanks, Chadwell ji.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).