... name of Portulaca oleracea in Assamiya

Dinesh Valke

May 14, 2011, 5:08:35 AM5/14/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Assamiya-knowing friends,

Please let me know how does চানেকীয়া শাক gets transliterated in English.
This is in context of Portulaca oleracea.

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

May 14, 2011, 6:27:39 AM5/14/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
Don't know about transliteration but from my Useful Plant of India it is Noniya (perhaps first word) the second I guess should be saag

Assamese name for plant is Noniya

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

May 14, 2011, 6:34:12 AM5/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Many thanks Gurcharan ji for the quick response.
Could find it from online transliteration to be chanikya saag.

Yes, noniya OR nuniya is a popular name for Portulaca oleracea in Bengal and Assam.

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

May 22, 2011, 7:40:42 AM5/22/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

May 22, 2011, 9:07:03 AM5/22/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
That is really great Dinesh ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

May 22, 2011, 9:26:04 AM5/22/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Many thanks Gurcharan ji.
Have set incremental goal ... first compiling names for the native flora that is found in my collection (Western Ghats in my vicinity) ... next, eFI & FOI ... can go at it with the only option ... slowly and steadily !!!

Regards.
Dinesh

Ushadi micromini

May 24, 2011, 11:57:17 PM5/24/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
DEAR Dineshji and Gurucharan ji:
Nooniya is not name we recognize in urban west bengal, namely mostly
West Bengal and its vicinity...
all saag sellers are village women who come to Calcutta markets with
their haul of yesterday from their village tanks, riverbanks,
forests....

1: They and our non-english reading and speaking Bengali folks...
call it LOONE saak লুনে শাক...
so I wanted to be sure before I responded....
Supporting Reference for this is in a booklet called: " Banglar
Saak" dated March 2003 published by The DEVELOPMENT Research
Communication and Services Center, 18 b Gariahat Road, Dhakuria,
Kolkata 700031.
( I would like to send the pic of the cover and the page with this
saak of the book but there is no option here to include an
attachment, or I have just not found it, not smart enough I guess) !!!

2: Santhal tribals in Bengal call it Golgol-sag.. Reference: TRIBAL
MEDICINE by Dr. DC Pal and SK Jain...page 216.
published 1997 Kolkata.by Naya Prokas Kolkata ISN 81-85421-307..

3: My servants recognize it, eat it and buy it sometimes...from our
local market... There is one growing in my balcony at the base of my
potted Adenium obesum....that single loone saag has also developed
the telltale yellow tiny flowers...

I would recognize portulaca any way... it was a common weed in upstate
NY countryside and on many a weekends I have gone on hikes with my
herbal medicine teachers, we would pick Portulaca among many things
from the pristine woods, and eat them in our salad for lunch or add in
the sandwiches... nowadays green grocers carry it all over NYC....

sorry to respond so late... but it took a while to dig out skinny
botany books in Bengali script..

Thanks
Usha di

On May 22, 6:26 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> >> [image: Flowers of India]<http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Purslane.html>[image:
> >> Discussions at efloraofindia]<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#%21searchin/indiantreepix/Port...>[image:
> >> more views in flickr]<http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Portulacaoleracea&m=tags&z=m>[image:
> >> more views on Google Earth]<http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/geo/india/&tags=Portulacaolerace...>
>
> >> *commonly known as*: purslane<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/english/p...>
> >>  • *Assamese*: মালভোগ শাক malbhog xaak<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/assamese/...>
> >>  • *Bengali*: নূনিযা সাগ nuniya saag<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/bengali/n...>
> >>  • *Gujarati*: લૂણી luni<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/gujarati/...>
> >>  • *Hindi*: घोल ghol<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/hindi/gho...>
> >> , लोनिया loniya<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/hindi/lon...>
> >> , नोनिया noniya<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/hindi/non...>
> >>  • *Kannada*: ದೊಡ್ಡ ಗೋಣಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು dodda goni soppu<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/kannada/d...>
> >> , ಕಿರುಗೋಣಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು kirugoni soppu<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/kannada/k...>
> >>  • *Kashmiri*: कुन kuna<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/kashmiri/...>
> >>  • *Konkani*: गोळ gol<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/konkani/g...>
> >>  • *Malayalam*: കൊഴുപ്പ koluppa<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/malayalam...>
> >>  • *Manipuri*: লৈবাক কুন্দো leibak kundo<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/manipuri/...>
> >>  • *Marathi*: घोळ ghol<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/marathi/g...>
> >>  • *Oriya*: lunia<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/oriya/lunia>
> >>  • *Persian*: خرفه khurfa<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/persian/k...>
> >>  • *Punjabi*: ਧਮਣੀ dhamni<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/punjabi/d...>
> >> , ਕੁਲਫਾ kulfa<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/punjabi/k...>
> >> , ਲੂਨਕ lunak<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/punjabi/l...>
> >>  •*Sanskrit*: घोटक ghotaka<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/sanskrit/...>
> >> , लोणिका lonika<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/sanskrit/...>
> >>  • *Tamil*: கோழிக்கீரை koli-k-kirai<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/tamil/kol...>
> >> , பருப்புக்கீரை paruppu-k-kirai<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/tamil/par...>
> >>  • *Telugu*:పెద్ద పావిలికూర pedda pavilikura<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/telugu/pe...>
>
> >> *botanical name*: *Portulaca oleracea* L.

Gurcharan Singh

May 25, 2011, 1:32:17 AM5/25/11
to Ushadi micromini, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Usha di
You must be right. My information Noniya as Assamese name is based on CSIR publication, Useful Plants of India.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

May 25, 2011, 1:33:02 AM5/25/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Usha di ... immense thanks !!!
To me now, getting common names validated is seeming just as important as botanical names.
Your elaborate noting has increased my confidence in pursuing compilation of plant names.

The name noniya and its variants belong to Hindi speaking regions ... the neighbouring regions may have got influenced by it.

Will make corrections in my notes.

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

May 25, 2011, 1:38:10 AM5/25/11
to Dinesh Valke, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
And yes, my source says Baraloniya in Bengali

L should be logical:

Baralaniya in Hindi
Motiloni in Gujarati
Brihalloni, lanika and lonamla in Sanskrit
Lonak in Punjab

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

May 25, 2011, 1:51:12 AM5/25/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Many thanks Gurcharan ji.
We observe that the names in most of the languages have an adjective prefixed implying "large" OR "big".
In due course of time we will discover other plant(s) which is known otherwise (small).

Will make relevant changes in my notes.

Regards.
Dinesh

Ritesh Choudhary

May 25, 2011, 2:12:59 AM5/25/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh sir,

One of my Assamese friends transliterated চানেকীয়া শাক as Chanekiya
Haak.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Dinesh Valke

May 25, 2011, 2:20:51 AM5/25/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Many many thanks Ritesh ji.
And most probably this chanekiya haak OR chanikya saag is a generic name for sour greens (though not sure).

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

May 25, 2011, 2:44:50 AM5/25/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
... just found from few resources on internet that smaller version of loniya OR luniya would be species of Oxalis ... there could possibly be some other plant(s) too.

Dinesh Valke

May 25, 2011, 2:59:57 AM5/25/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
... the name lonamla (Sanskrit: लोणाम्ला) is more apt for Oxalis pusilla as per online Sanskrit dictionaries, one of is Monier-Williams Dictionary.
Regards.
Dinesh

Ritesh Choudhary

May 25, 2011, 3:16:05 AM5/25/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh sir,

Just now my another friend from Upper Assam informed some names for
these plants:

Portulaca oleracea: In Upper Assam they call it "Hanh-
thengia" (because the leaves look like "Legs of a duck"), Hanh = Hans
(Hindi) and Teng =Taang (Hindi)

Bodo people of Assam call it "Mephrai".

Oxalis corniculata is called as "Tengesi" in Upper Assam. 'Tenga'
means 'Sour' in Assamese.

Hope this will be an addition to your database.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Dinesh Valke

May 25, 2011, 3:44:04 AM5/25/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Ritesh ji.
All information of and about names is a great help; interesting too.

Regards.
Dinesh